Chapter 24

Nova

I leave the lunch table eager to take this phone call. Whenever Jake calls me, he is either telling me good news or bad news. Either or I needed to know.

"Hey Jake! How's it going?" I ask.

"Hey kiddo, its going alright down here. Listen, I heard something passing around the gym today and yesterday, and if its true I wanted to inform you." He says, tone turning more serious. At this point I see Jax heading over to me, wanting to know what is going on.

"Alright, I'm all ears." I tell him, shooting a quick glance to Jax.

"I heard something about Cage being a fighter in New York. Everyone hearing about your sudden appearance in that last fight, well the news travels fast. A few people have been talking about Cage wanting to fight Rose if she would still be in the area next month. The two undefeated underground fighters having a go? That is a fight no one wants to miss. I will make sure to get information and secure that it is valid and not just people stirring the pot, but... I guess I am asking if it is true, would you want to fight Cage next month? Remember, this gives you a month to train to be your best and prepare, but take note that he is also undefeated and if you say no its okay. There may be a few words passed around about you  declining the offer, but I would understand." 

Oh my fuckin- no way. I can feel the adrenaline coursing through my veins at just the thought. The thrill of it all. This is an opportunity I couldn't pass up. Plus I have a month, my ribs should be fine by then... Declining this would make me seem scared, especially if Cage has already expressed that he wants this fight.

"I'll do it." I say with zero hesitance.

"Now Nova, you don't have to agree right off... You can take a couple days to think about it-"

"No, if the rumors are true then I want to do this, like you said this is a fight no one would want to miss. Not even me."

"Alright then. If you are sure. I will figure out if it is true and if it is, I will pass on you want to do it." Jake says.

"Alright thank you Jake. Talk to you later."

"Okay, have a good day kiddo." 

After hanging up I look up at Jax. He looks stunned. This would be a fight he would not be able to pass up, and he knows it. Its one that he has joked about for a while, and now that there is a possibility of it happening, his brain is probably all jumbled.

When he finally pulls himself together he speaks. "Wait- but what about your ribs? You cannot fight him when you can't even fully work out in the gym." He says.

"Hey, I have a whole month I should be okay by then. Plus I could do my work out in the gym, I was just purposefully taking it easy." I reassure him.

"Yeah but its still dangerous even if your ribs are a lot better by then. There is still a chance they won't be fully healed. Plus one hit from him and it could do serious damage to you."

That is one thing I love about him. His concern for my well being. Not many people have been throughout my life, and he is always my number 1 supporter.

"I will train, and be mindful of my ribs. Plus come on! This is a once in a life time opportunity! I cannot pass up on that shit." I tell him, wanting to improve the mood. 

"Alright alright." he says while letting out a long sigh.

"I cannot believe there is a chance I will fight my one true opponent." I say still slightly in shock.

"The money you will get if you win." Is what leaves Jax's mouth after finally being done questioning my decision.

"Don't get me wrong I want the money, but this fight would be more about who is the stronger fighter." I tell him.

"Well that is obviously you" Jax says trying to ruffle my hair but I don't let him.

"Well obviously." I say with a dramatic eye roll. "I just have to prove that to everyone else."

Word Count: 718

Why am I so tired for no reason, its still too early to sleep.... but yet I think I dosed off for a good five minute while I was writting... Opps? Deffinantly too tired to reread this chapter