Chapter 9- His Mom and Her Dad

RAY POV

I don't bother to take my helmet off as I hop off the bike and enter the house with my headphones on.

"Hi, mom". I shout taking off the leather jacket and throwing it over a chair near the staircase.

"Hey, honey. How was school?" Mom looks up from our family album. Letters from the orphanage were placed beside her on a table neatly.

After dad's death, mom retired from the Air Force as well. Previously when mom went on missions, dad stayed back to take care of me. He retired early as they didn't want me to grow up like an orphan anymore.

Food and medical delivery to orphanages was the only job dad took later to keep himself busy. He loved children. I think it was because he always felt he failed to protect those he loved when he was deployed.

"It was fine. I am going to sleep."

"Do you have another job tonight?"

"Yes."

She smiles."Sandwiches will be ready. Have them with you when you head out."With that, she goes back to the book.

Even though she worked two jobs, her face never showed exhaustion. The retirement money they received was good, but just enough to survive. At first, she was against me working in the bars, but agreed later. It was needed after the man of the house was no more.

I grab some leftover lasagna out of the freezer and shove half of it in my mouth.
After a quick shower, grabbing a bag of snacks that mom forgot about, I head to my room.

I drop the bag on the bed, open the window for fresh air and turn on my stereo. Some classic song, comes out and I close my eyes trying to listen carefully.

I open my eyes and look around my room.
There was a picture frame with a picture of me, my friend and my dad together. I used to hate him,  but soon the memories started flashing in front of my eyes.

---

It was another school day, but little 12-year-old me couldn't be any happier as I was getting to skip school. All I had to do was accompany Mr.Turner to the orphanage he worked for. Once the gates opened, a girl ran straight to him and jumped in his arms.

"Uncle Turner! I missed you so much." Her smile never stopped.

"Nicole! My little champ. Sorry I was busy with something and couldn't visit you".
I wouldn't deny that the relation me and my father had was not the best but him being so close with another child wasn't something I would prefer either." Darling, why don't you show my son, Ray here, around while I go talk to Father?".She nodded enthusiastically.

After he was gone, she looked at me as to contemplating what to say."What?,  I ask.

"Nothing. Hii, I am Nicole", her hand out in a handshake.

"Ray", I reply paying no heed to her. Now that I notice, there is a sense of familiarity in this place.

"You don't remember me trunk?", the nickname and her voice hit me like a truck and a sense of nostalgia washed over me. I look at her in disbelief and as soon as her smile appears, I hug her like there is no tomorrow.
"I didn't expect I would ever see you again."

"Me neither." I hated how my voice trembled right now but having your childhood best friend back isn't everyone's good fate.

Back when I was born, both Mama and Mr.Turner were busy fighting with aeroplanes. So I lived almost 5 years of my life here, with Nic and my other friends before Mr.Turner came back to take me away.