Chapter 2- Vision

"You really wanna do this?"
I nod.

"How about we reconsider?" Concern dripped from her words.

I shook my head. There is no going back now.

"Are you for real sure?" She asked again.

"Positive." Giving her a short nod I assured her.

"Nah can't be." Nic stared further."Are these even legal? Ain't government records inaccessible to the locals?" She asks.

My gaze darts up, meeting hers before I sigh and shake my head, fingers tracing down the side of her parcel.

" 'Public' government records." I correct her.

"Whatever. But Miss. Brown, as far as the law is conserved, I wouldn't intervene. And wish not to make yourself any exception. Tastes sour." The last sentence was whispered dramatically in my ears.

Rolling my eyes, I went back to unwrapping it.

---

Nicole POV

I stretched shutting the books. Revisions have been getting my best lately.
Yesterday being the last day of the poster's job left me with more time for now. Fly posting isn't one's dream job until you get extra cream. Aside from regular station visits, getting hands-on case studies by professional lawyers is a good salary. Lawyers are like a vanilla cream and chocolate sprinkle, white on the top and warm at the bottom. One bite and game over. After all, making some extra bucks and scoring a hefty law firm proposal is a good bonus in mortal vision.
Speaking of which, let me honour myself with the substantial chance to enlighten the current situation.

While I was reading through the Constitution, soft snores filled the room. I glanced over at Kenzie who was rolling in her bed. Black hair tousled from sleep, and she still held a book in her hand. Her breathing was even, eyes shut. The covers had been pulled halfway up so I could see the wheatish skin of her neck. She wore a plain blue top. My gaze followed her body down to her legs. One bare knee stuck out above the sheets like a question mark. She looked so peaceful that if not for the fact that she’d fallen asleep reading I would have thought she was dead.

I put away my papers and stood before quietly pulling the sheets from beneath her head.
"Wake up Kenzie! It’s almost ten o’clock!” I gently shook her shoulder.

Eight in the morning, and the doorbell went off. Strange, I wasn't expecting someone. Wait, it could be them. The next room was 'wannabe powerpuff girls'. They have been getting on my nerves. Yesterday they rang for us to help plug in a toaster. The reason, they had wireless toasters back at their residence. Is that even a thing? And this was just one time. By grace, if it's them again, it will be the 69th.

After the 8th ring, I unlocked the door frustrated.
"If you have any..."

"Package delivery." The warden spat looking irritated and signed towards the bedding." Why isn't she picking up?"

"Probably because someone can't make videos amongst caller tunes."

"Wake her up. It's late already." Her emphasis on 'her' is unmistakable.

"Ouch. Did your daughter-in-law pack a cactus in lunch?" I turned around snickering.
"Let me check."

"The package is hers. Is it paid?" Appearing a minute later, I said.

"Why do I trust you? You didn't even say a word."

"Maybe this will help Mrs.CIA." I waved a note in front of her face.