Chapter 24

Harry blinked blankly at Severus, trying to understand what his guardian had just said. They were in the sitting room and Severus was helping Harry with his Potions assignment. However, it wasn't going well as Harry was still not fully understanding.

"I'm still confused," Harry said.

"What is still confusing you?" Severus asked.

"Okay, I get that I have to do all kinds of research, but that's about it," Harry said and Severus chuckled.

"You choose an ingredient and research its properties and how those properties change based on its preparation. You also choose one potion the ingredient is in and research its use in the potion," Severus said and Harry nodded, following so far. "The second half of the assignment is to research how your chosen potion would change if you prepared your ingredient in three different ways. You then have the option to make the potion using one of those other preparation techniques."

"Oh!" Harry exclaimed, finally understanding. "Wait, you want me to brew a potion on my own?"

Severus laughed again. "You do not have to. That part is optional. I have it there to give some students a chance to practice their brewing."

Harry looked at him. "You want me to do it, don't you?"

"It is your decision, but it would be a good opportunity," Severus said and Harry rolled his eyes.

"So, yes," Harry said. "Someone has to be there when I brew it."

"One of us will help you," Severus said, a slight smirk on his face.

"Thanks for helping," Harry said.

Severus inclined his head. "Remember to ask for help if you need it from now on."

"I'll try."

The door opened and they both looked up to see Alexei poking his head inside. Harry furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"Oh, rebenok, good, you're here," Alexei said.

"Yeah," Harry said slowly, frowning at the odd gleam in the vampire's eyes.

Alexei smiled. "We have a surprise for you."

Harry put his homework aside and watched Alexei walk into the room, opening the door all the way. His eyes grew wide at the figure that followed Alexei inside. He got to his feet, staring at the other man he had missed so much.

"Lucius?" he whispered and Lucius looked past his long, messy hair at the child. The man's hair was no longer its brilliant white blonde. It was very grimy and lank. The man's face was skeletal and, by the way the clothes hung off him, Harry knew the man's body was the same way. His face was dirty as well, adding to the sunken look of his eyes and cheeks. The silver-grey eyes were dull, broken, and haunted but some light returned as they rested on Harry.

While he was still hesitant about being touched since the incident with Sirius, Harry pushed it aside and rushed to hug Lucius tightly. He didn't care that the man was dirty. He was just so happy to have Lucius back after all this time. It had been nearly three months.

Lucius eventually pulled back and cupped Harry's face. "I have missed you," he whispered.

Harry smiled. "I've missed you too."

"Harry, he'll be staying here so you can bring him to the room beside yours," Severus said and Harry nodded, only vaguely noticing that the other room was a new addition. Severus stopped them as they walked by, pulling Lucius into his own hug. "Welcome back home."

Lucius smiled gratefully at him, continuing to follow Harry to the new bedroom. Harry supported him as they entered the room and helped him sit on the bed. Lucius slowly pulled his feet up onto the bed and arranged himself so he was sitting propped up against the mound of pillows. Harry perched on the side beside Lucius' legs.