Chapter 216

"She contends that without the king's confirmation of the line of succession, it's inappropriate for Kairen to ascend the throne."

Raymond realized he was embroiled in a delicate situation.

"Upon reflection, the king hasn't officially designated any heir to the throne."

Though Kairen was next in line by birthright, the title of crown prince had never been formally bestowed.

The crown prince, irrespective of birth order, was traditionally the designated successor.

Yet, King Odin had never bestowed this title upon Kairen.

Indeed, King Odin had made his intentions clear during his lifetime.

'I will crown the one who will most revitalize the Kingdom of Houston.'

In essence, contentious.

'Lord Remerton is effectively sidelined from the succession, but... No, will he assert himself now that circumstances have shifted? Sophia is also a factor. Is she interested in the throne as well?'

Raymond contemplated calmly.

'Yes, with composure.'

While the situation was urgent, it didn't directly implicate him.

After all, the struggle for the throne was meant for princes and princesses to vie for, not him.

'Certainly, it would be preferable if Sophia, who is at least amicable towards me, were to assume the throne.'

At this, Chancellor Galman bowed once more.

"Please, I implore you, save the king!"

Raymond hastily clasped Galman's arm.

"Please, Your Excellency, refrain from this. It puts me in an awkward position."

He owed favors to Lord Galman. The man had always been supportive of him.

But this was a favor he couldn't accept.

"I am no longer solely a healer; I am also the Lord of Rafalde, and you understand that I cannot act freely, Your Grace."

Chancellor Galman fell silent.

His tone was somber, bereft of any remorse for his father.

Lord Galman heaved a profound sigh.

'Who is to blame?'

Blood does not always equate to kinship.

Sometimes, based on one's actions, relationships can sour.

It was all King Odin's doing that Raymond, a child with the purest heart, has become so embittered."

"Nevertheless... Can't you reconsider? I deeply apologize."

Yet, Chancellor Galman could only bow his head in resignation.

Only Raymond held the key to King Odin's salvation now.

Raymond remained silent for a prolonged moment before responding.

"I'll consider it, but don't hold your breath."

"...Thank you."

"We'll arrange for you to have some rest."

Lord Galman hesitated before stepping back, then added,

"Before His Majesty lost consciousness completely, he had one final message for you."

"..."

"...He apologized."