Chapter 207

'But there's a priority I must address first.'

Raymond settled into his chair behind his desk.

Exhaustion weighed heavily upon him, yet a pressing task demanded his attention.

He had to fulfill his academic obligations.

'Time is of the essence.'

Currently under probation at the Tower of Medicine, Raymond faced the task of achieving a significant scholarly milestone before the probationary period concluded.

'I must secure my academic standing.'

With a sigh, Raymond glanced at his work-in-progress, his apprehension palpable.

Truth be told, he harbored doubts regarding the impact of his efforts.

Despite his nerves, he resolved to give his all.

Throughout the night, he toiled relentlessly, battling against encroaching drowsiness until sleep overtook him at his desk.

Meanwhile, Raymond's strides did not go unnoticed.

The political elite of the Houston Kingdom's nobility marveled at his accomplishments.

***

Unbeknownst to Raymond, the scrutiny of Houston's political aristocracy shadowed his every move, orchestrated by Remerton.

'There's no way Raymond can govern properly!'

Remerton perpetuated these insidious whispers, casting doubt upon Raymond's ability to rule as a monarch.

'Despite his myriad achievements, can Marquis Penin truly govern proficiently?'

Raymond's birth status, illegitimate, cast a shadow over perceptions of his leadership potential.

This wasn't a condemnation of his character but rather a reflection of his lack of formal education and training compared to established nobles and legitimate royalty.

Ruling wasn't merely a game; it demanded profound scholarly acumen and an astute awareness of current affairs, qualities some questioned if Raymond possessed.

However...

"Isn't it remarkable? The people of Rafalde have unwavering faith in Marquis Penin."

"Have you seen this? Rafalde issued a new decree, abolishing the old and streamlining governance. It's commendable, something we should heed."

For the record, this was Mevinson's accomplishment.

He drafted it when he was first hired and presented it today.

Raymond hadn't touched it, but it was his master's work.

The nobility attributed the achievements to Raymond, and in truth, they weren't entirely mistaken.

Without Raymond's persistence, Mevinson wouldn't have achieved such feats.

"Furthermore, the imminent completion of the canal promises a seismic shift in the Kingdom of Houston's trade dynamics."

"The primary beneficiary will undoubtedly be Rafalde, poised to become the wealthiest province in Houston."

"And what of the vaccine enterprise? Its impact could shake up the centire ontinent."

Though the Tower of Healing rejected Raymond's smallpox vaccine, the people of Houston remained undeterred.

Having witnessed Raymond's prowess in curing numerous epidemics, they harbored no doubts regarding the vaccine's efficacy.