Chapter Seventy-Six Josh

Chapter Seventy-Six
Josh

     When Josh was solving the newspaper puzzle with frustration, he sighed and said, "Come here and sit down so I can talk to you."
Christine, who was busy with her laptop, closed it, sat next to Josh and said, "What happened? Where is Peter?"
   Josh closed the newspaper and threw it on the table in front of him, then sighed and said, "He went out. I don't know where he is and what he is doing. This worries me."
   "Why are you so worried about Peter? What happened?"
   "When I went to kill Martin, I couldn't do it because we saw Peter in that house."
   Christine stared at Josh. She wanted to talk, but her voice wouldn't come out. It seemed like talking was the hardest and most painful thing in the world for her at that moment.
   Josh said, "Christine, are you okay?"
   Christine said angrily, "What was Peter doing in that house?"
   "He was unconscious. Martin said he had poisoned Peter with a poison that was very hard for doctors to identify and only he could save Peter and I couldn't do anything."
   "Did you believe him?"
   Josh shrugged and said, "I had no other choice."
   "Is Peter okay now?"
   "He's fine. He says he had an accident. Martin tricked me into not killing him."
   Christine said, "Does Peter know him?"
   "I don't know. Peter doesn't tell me anything. I can't ask him anything about it because he might doubt me."
   "What a bad situation! We have to be careful about Peter. He shouldn't get close to Martin. Otherwise, things might get worse than they are now. He might tell Peter horrible lies and he might believe them."
   Josh said, "He's a scary person." He didn't tell his wife the whole truth in this conversation and had hidden a secret from her for the first time. Josh went to his room, entered his laptop password and checked his emails for that day.
   Scott had written an email to Josh after a long time: If my life is ruined, I will ruin everyone's life. I swear.
   Josh thought to himself, "Why is Scott angry?" Then he closed his laptop and looked for the same coat in the closet that had the bottle of poison in its pocket and held it in his fist and thought to himself, "How did Martin know about this poison?"
Josh hadn't used that bottle of poison and that was the secret he had hidden from Christine. He still kept it. Josh remembered the same motorcycle that had stopped next to Peter in the parking garage that day. He had seen it in Martin's yard.