Chapter Twenty-Four Anna

Chapter Twenty-Four
Anna

    Anna and Peter Miller were ready to stand; Anna paused a little to calm her anxiety and excitement.
  In the meantime, Mrs.  O'Brian's voice was heard from behind the door, saying angrily, "What is this box?"
The sound of tearing tape came and then Josh said, "A bunch of damn snowballs and a design notebook."
  "Again for you?"
  "They sent these for Martin."
  "Are you sure it's not Martin's own work."
  "Probably Beatrice is back."
  "I don't care at all. I have to tell him he has the right to know; enough nightmares; my heart burns for him."
  The color faded from Anna's face and she said to herself, "Is my mother here? What is she saying ?!"
  Mr. Collins's voice came saying, "It's not time yet."
  Anna said softly, "Not time yet! Why?"
  Peter wanted to knock on the door but Anna prevented him from doing so.
There was silence in the room and Anna did not reach her goal. She remembered that this was exactly what Martin had told her. Martin calmly said, "Those who call you mother and father know more about that fire than they pretend."
  Anna screamed and said, "How do you know about that fire? Who are you damn ?!"
  Martin just smiled and said, "I want us to help each other; so calm down." He did not think about this for a few moments. Anna came to herself and anyway Anna and Peter entered after a few minutes but there was no box there; she looked around the room. When they sat around each other, Anna was lost in thought and silent. She did not hear the words of others; many questions appeared in her mind; question number one: Who exactly is Beatrice? Question number two: Is she dangerous? Question number three: Does she have anything to do with Anna's life? She was a little angry; the truth was that Anna was very very angry; she really wanted to scream and cry for the first time but she did not have the ability; her voice did not come out; she was very upset that she had lost the ability to ask questions at one step away from discovering the truth. Anna hated herself too for always smiling whether she was happy or sad.
  Mrs. Christine O'Brian, who was looking at Anna with concern, said, "Anna are you okay? Something happened?"
  Anna raised her head as if she was sick; she said, "Nothing mother; I just feel a little tired."
  Mrs.  O'Brian, while putting her hand on Anna's forehead, said worriedly, "You have a fever! You are not well."
   Anna laughed and said: "I hope you're not serious."