2012

The woes of my heart had shed skin and take flight. Buried under snow, the spring had thawed the remembrance of it all; and out they bloomed. Like fire on my winter shawl.

I see the tree, the swing, the grass. The car, the backyard. We had build igloos out of the tears of longing and misery, and inside them, lay a warmth. Taking place in our struggle and refuge, we wrapped ourselves in skin and made bread.

In the midst of home-sickness, in a land unknown. Of snow and ice. Of winter and frost. There was a warmth inside the house that lay still every spring. A warmth inside the house with a chilly window and broken door. Where we'd have little money, and little gold.

Oh, the things we knew, the things we saw. Oh, how the time has passed; out by the door they flew.

We'd trek the winter; trek the snow. Footsteps, molding the new land. Hands stiff. Fingers frozen. But they'd hold me so, and hold me fast. Ring on each hand, it had taken me to school. Along that winding path.

The garden gnomes and raccoons. The toy-house and the pink blooms.

Gathered in my memory, my heart aches and aches. The woes of my heart: singing rejoice! Recall; that Easter season, that first winter, the shed of our first snowfall, the missing gloves and the swing by the school. Oh, the woes of my heart. Aching every time I remember everything that had happened since the winter of 2012.