155-156

155: Returning Back 

The residence of the General in the Ding capital was originally decorated with bright colours and from the outsiders' view, it was admirable. Whenever the residence of the General was brought up, everyone would first recall about the sweat and blood contributions, and the bravery of the Formidable Great General.

However ever since the separation of the Eldest household and the Shen family, and being removed from the Shen's clan records, the General residence quickly declined. Even though Shen Gui and Shen Wan tried to support the formal glory of the General residence with their careers, unfortunately the route of civil and military officials were different. Civil officials depended on their brains and mouth, and if one wanted to achieve meritorious services, it would take a much longer time. It was however different with military officials, after fighting a battle and cutting off a few enemy heads, one would be admired by ten thousands of people.

After the decline of the General residence, even though there was still a name, people do not pay as close attention as before. However, these days it easily caught others' attention, but good things did not get out of the door but instead bad things spread out to thousands of Li (1 Li = 500m). The matter that made others discuss the most was this matter. One did not know when, but there was a rumour that was spreading in the marketplace, it was that the Master of the Third household of the Shen family was planning to divorce his wife.

Among the three sons of the Shen family, besides Shen Xin, even though Shen Gui was smooth and evasive, he was too lustful, thus he did things unclearly. Shen Wan was however different from his Second Older Brother, he had a clean record and was not considered lustful towards females. Even though he would play along with his colleagues, he would not make a mess of things. He was one who very much cherished his feathers thus in the eyes of the people, he was one who had reached a high level of emotional maturity and was capable. If one were to wait a couple of years, most likely his position would be even higher.

The women of the official families had a good impression of Shen Wan. It was not because of anything else, but because Shen Wan was one that favoured and dotted his wife and daughter, and that there was not a single female in the inner courtyard. Those Furens of official families would all have some frustrating matters in their courtyard, and would always be envious of Chen Rou Qiu since it was not easy to encounter a husband who would only treat one person well.

Who knew that at this period, when Shen Tzuyu was married, there would be a matter of divorcing between Shen Wan and Chen Rou Qiu.

Those who spread out in the marketplace all had eyes and ears, "Is not it so? One heard that it was because the Third Shen Furen do not have a son. You see, now there is no grandson in the Shen residence, and one cannot just let the family line be cut off. Not mentioning that the Second Shen Master had been bringing in concubines after concubines, after all he once had two sons. However the Third household had never had a son before, thus it is no wonder they got anxious.

"Speaking of that, the Third Shen Master is doing well in his career and with such a big family, it would be indeed a pity if there is no heir to inherit it."

"That Madam Chen's tummy failed to live up to expectations, and had not given birth to sons for so many years. She still do not let her husband bring in concubines. This is really ill-mannered. There would not be such thing in a commoner's family. If I am Third Shen Master, I will not be able to accept it too."

"To not even let one bring in concubine. Ze. Such a jealous woman with no virtue and still do not have a son, this can be one and only. Third Shen Master is pitiful."

The rumours in the entire Ding capital were all standing at Shen Wan's side. Chen Rou Qiu was originally a talented lady from the Ding capital, and was extremely popular among the noble female's circle. But this time, no matter if it were the commoners or those women who once flattered or were close to her, they all inadvertently now accused her of wrongs. Perhaps because Chen Rou Qiu had been living too fortunately in the past that made people jealous, when the happiness was shattered, it would make other rejoice in her misfortune and throw stones.