Chapter Twenty-One

TW: spice n finally admitting the truth!

Tired. She was so tired and weak. Julia had blacked out due to the stress her body was having and in response, it had completely shut down. Everything was being felt so deeply, deep in her bones and in her heart. She felt it all at once. Hurt. Guilt. Resentment. Rage. Sadness, everything and anything all at once. It was too much for her body to bear... So she shut down. While she shut down, Rafe had carried her upstairs to her room, as her mother hovered over her, feeling her cheeks and putting her hand in front of her mouth to see if she was breathing. There, she laid in the darkness of her mind, trying to get away from the nightmare that was her now reality. Both Rafe and Violet took turns sitting in her room with her, just to make sure she was okay. While in her stress induced haze, she woke for a moment. Across the other side of the room, she could hear hushed angry whispers from her mother who was on the phone with Rose.

"You demented cunt, I can't believe you could be this low!" She whisper-screamed into the phone, peeking over to see that she hadn't woken her distraught daughter. "You know how sick I am and you and your fucked up husband pull this shit?! This hurts my baby more than me and if anyone hurts my baby...."Violet kept raging on, taking a sharp inhale and a brief moment to probably listen to Rose try to plead her case; but Violet kept on her attack. "You are dead to me. Dead to us. If I could pull this cancer out of my body and shove it down your throat, I would." She seethed, saying the words with such conviction. "If I ever see you again before I die, I swear to god Rose, I will kill you." Tears of betrayal and hurt ran down Violets face as she hung up the phone, putting her hand over her mouth to hold back the shocking scream she wanted to scream out. Taking a moment to breathe slowly and collect herself before going back over to her daughter to rub her back soothingly. "It's okay, Jules. I'm here," She whispered in that motherly tone that you knew when they were there... everything was going to be okay. At least, for now.

Julia fell back into sleep, her body and mind not ready to wake yet to be apart of the life that was about to unfold before her. Inside the darkness and quiet of her mind, she was able to escape, even just for a while. If only she could go back in time... She would change so many things.

She woke again to her room being dimly lit by the moonlight shining through the plantation shutters. The room had a blue cast to it, seemingly appropriate for how blue Julia was feeling. She stirred on the bed, she was crouched in the fetal position, slowly uncurling herself, she peeked over to who sat the edge of her bed, and there was Rafe who sat with hunched with his elbows resting on his knees. Eyes on her, while he bit at one of his fingers. As soon as he saw her waking, he scooted closer to her, leaning in to look her over. Julia's eyes were puffy from crying, her face tear-stained, her pouty lips forming a line... Rafe still thought she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen, even if she was one of the saddest people he knew right now. "Julia?" He questioned carefully, as if talking to her would shatter her all over again. Nothing could shatter her more than the words that came out of her mother's mouth earlier.  'I'm dying.' She had said... Thinking of that moment, Julia's stomach soured all over again. Sitting up slowly, pulling her arms over her knees as she pulled her knees to her chest, she lifted her head up about to speak before Rafe answered the question she was about to ask. "She's in her room... She sat here for a couple of hours watching you. I told her I'd take over so she could sleep for a little." Rafe nodded, still never taking his eyes off of her.

"So you've been watching me sleep?" Julia spoke in an annoyed tone. He acted like he cared... when in speaking truth; did he even really care about her at all? Or was it now just pity because she had a dying mother?

"Yeah," Was all he offered to her. Finally, removing his eyes from her broken face. He continued to look at the window, chewing on a piece of his thumb.