Chapter fifteen.

(Got lazy to edit.mize the errors.)

Prince Melus' POV.

I wallowed in my chambers with a ring hugging my finger tightly reminding me that indeed I had gotten engaged yesterday. I was fatigued, weary but above everything I was angry at myself. What type of person was I? Such idiocy to never stick up for the person I love. What was status to him and I? If I couldn't have him what was the use of even having such importance in other people's lives where else in my domain, I just couldn't have him to myself.

I was in despair. I couldn't stomach the fact needless to say I was smitten for him. The one thing I had no control of. A game I outed it to be but in the end we both got played. Simon. His name chanted in my mind drumming at my heart. His touch leaving me star struck, and oh to have had him close to me felt like I had scored in my existence. A man who held no importance in the palace held the heart of the prince and occupied his thoughts. A change in status involuntarily was it to him but it was never noticeable.

I traced my fingers around the ring. Beside me sat a box. One I had simply lied to a maid to purchase two rings. She never asked which the other one was for and I was thankful to her for that. Looking at the box now it felt illegal to even glance at it. My musings were appalling. I contemplated how he'd take it. Would he even acquiesce the ring from me? Or would it feel like I was exploiting him again?

All of these recollections gave me nothing but a splitting headache. I hadn't left my chambers occupied by my blunder. I hadn't been productive. A prince not being productive would spark up a bad aura to the royal court but yet, I was excused. My father, the king, made it known to me that it was ideal for me to rest as I'll be on my feet all day on the day of my coming of age. I was dreading that very auspicious day. Every day I just couldn't break it to my father how I felt. Every day I went mute as my nervousness and musings got the better of me.

A loud knock on my doors pulled me out of my thoughts. Simon waltzed in. In his hand he held a tray filled with a plate of food and a jug of water. He looked at me scrutinizingly and at the last minute I grabbed the little box stashing it under my pillow with a weird smile on my face. Simon cocked his head, his eyebrows furrowed as he stared longingly at me confused.

"I brought you lunch. The maids said you hadn't been eating well. Please don't starve yourself, I get a tad worried." He said softly. His demeanour shifting from confused to worried.

"Thank you for caring about me." I said smiling softly at him. The voices in my head urged me. Telling me to give him the ring but I didn't know how he'd feel about it. I didn't want to have to nurse a broken heart when he didn't accept it. It was a gesture yes, but I was engaged to someone else.

"Doesn't it get exhausting for you to stay cooped up in here? At least go out for a walk. It's good to get a taste of the fresh air outside. Not that I'm telling the prince what to do, it's just a suggestion." He said bowing. He went on picking up the clothes adorning the floor which I had so recklessly thrown because I felt guilty and now, I even felt just as worse because he had to clean it up himself.

Why was he being so formal with me? It intrigued me making me think he was hiding something. He oddly felt too happy too because he was humming a song. I for one felt like I was being strangled because of a stupid ring but his day seemed to be going just as he expected it. I looked at him questioningly, my curiosity piqued.

"What are you so happy about? Gotten over me yet?" I asked sarcastically. He shot up dropping a t-shirt he was about to pick up. He looked at me a little smile perking up on his lips. He trotted to me standing right beside my bed. He sat on the bed as I felt the bed dip. He looked at me pulling my hand into his, his eyes evoked that he was joyous but I couldn't even tell what the reason was.