[22]

Somewhat three days ago...

I bit down on a torn piece of prison clothing and I read myself for the worst. I knew this was going to hurt, but I never knew I was going to be the one to hurt myself. This was the only for me to get out of this prison and the only way for me to see Freyja Again.

I let out a shaky breath and my leg collided with the pole with a resounding thud. Pain immediately shot through my leg like a bolt of lightning, causing me to stumble and collapse to the ground.

"Fuck!" I whispered through my shouts.

I reached up a hand to lightly clasp my leg and I winced, it was throbbing. The slight dent in it was more than enough for the nurse to come get me. As I lay on the cold concrete, clutching my injured leg, a wave of anger and frustration washed over me.

I've been here for so long, and I've missed my woman. Her touch, and her smell. I cursed myself sacrificing my life for her, but it felt good. Good enough for me to die for her. The thought of dying for her made me chuckle a bit.

The sound of approaching footsteps drew my attention. A figure emerged from the shadows, moving with purpose towards me. It was the prison nurse, her expression a mix of concern. She reminded me of my Nonna. [Grandma]

She was always worried about her grandkids, if they ate enough, if they went to school every week and when Zane and I visited her she'd make her delicious Bruschetta's.

"Are you alright?" she asked, her voice cutting through the silence of the corridor.

I gritted my teeth against the pain, forcing myself to nod. "Just a little accident," I muttered, trying to downplay the lie.

The nurse crouched down beside me, her hands gentle as she examined my leg. "Looks like you've taken quite a knock," she remarked, her brow furrowing with concern. "I'll need to take a closer look to assess the damage."

"I think I need to go to the hospital," I said.

I did not go to the hospital, she just "bandaged" me up. So I had to walk on crutches the whole time. As I walked to the yard my inmates looked at me with a mixture of amusement, of course, they were happy my ass got hurt.

They would use me to their advantage, and I needed that.

My injured leg ached with every step, but I was determined to show no weakness, especially not in front of the other inmates who were always watching, waiting for any sign of vulnerability.

As I approached a small group gathered near the chain-link fence, my eyes settled on Ace, glad to have finally found him. Ace glanced up, his expression turning muddled up as he took in my battered appearance.

"Romeo, what happened to you?" Ace asked concern in his voice.

"Nothing I can't handle," I replied tersely. "Listen, Ace, I need you to start a fight with me."

Ace sighed. "There are other ways to escape Romeo."

My eyes scanned the faces around us, noting but whispers and murmurs from the other inmates. "You said you'd help me no?" I provoked. "This is your chance. Help me, Ace." I looked at him, with desperation in my eyes.

"Damn it, Romeo."

With a reluctant nod, Ace squared his shoulders, bracing himself for what was to come. Without hesitation, he swung a light punch towards my jaw. The blow landed with a dull thud, but I staggered back dramatically, clutching his crutches for support.

Zane would have loved this.

"Come on, keep it coming..." I groaned and balanced myself on my crutches.

The fight caught the attention of every inmate around but out of nowhere, Ace continued the assault, throwing another punch, this time aimed at my midsection. The same area where he hit me with that damn basketball. I grunted in pain, my breath staggered and my head pounding.

"That... that's all you got man...?" I coughed out some blood and purposely kicked my crutches out of the way.

Suddenly, several burly prisoners rushed forward, intent on breaking up the fight before it spiraled out of control. In an instant, the scene devolved into chaos as fists flew and bodies collided in a protest.

It worked. Around me, the sounds of grunts and curses filled the air, alongside the occasional crack of bone against bone. Inmates clashed in violence, and I soon lost sight of Ace. It didn't matter though, the bigger the fight the sooner I was out of there.

Adrenaline pumping, I saw an opportunity amidst the chaos. My fist connected with the jaw of one of the approaching men, sending him staggering backward with a grunt of pain. This was fun.

The fun was ruined quickly when the prison guards came.

Present

The second attempt failed. I was beat up to a pulp and my entire body couldn't take it anymore. Everything pained, physically and mentally. I didn't escape from prison and I tried twice. I got in contact with Malik and hoped Freyja would be here in time.

Because I don't know what to do anymore.

Maybe she was right, maybe it was her job to protect me. Living for her is a way to protect Freyja, and I couldn't do that. Ever since I met her my life has been a mess, in the best way possible.

Everything that happened was happening with her and that's all I needed to know. Will she be fine without me? Yes, because she's Freyja Adair. Lawyer and the strongest woman I know. If I was gone Zane would protect her.

I was prepared, to leave. Physically. I ruffled my hair and stood on my bed. The rope attached to the roof and a small hole that fits my neck just right let out a breath and held the loophole around my neck. The fabric felt cold.

Death didn't mean anything to me, I was part of the mafia. I live for death, and I knew someday because of this job someone would kill me. That someone would be me, me Romeo Albero. Killer and a wanted man in Italy.

Freyja's Lover.

I placed my neck in the loop whole and soon enough my feet left the edge of the bed.