Chapter 19

The sounds of drums being played could be heard throughout the Imperial City. The Imperial City were adorn in red fabric, and stall and inn owners had closed their establishments for today. People were singing and dancing in the streets. The wedding guests had arrived two days earlier, and Madame Yu and her husband tried to see their children but were refused by both of them. That made her angry, and she, as usual, cussed and cursed Wei Wuxian out.

Some small changes were made to the royal wedding attire that the Crown Prince and Wei Wuxian would wear on the day. Their royal wedding robes were adorned with flowing clouds and pink plumblossoms. Wei Ying had cried when he first saw and tried on his mother's wedding robes. It took him quite a while to calm down. The red wedding robes looked beautiful on him, and his grandmother and young lady Jiang told him as much.

The morning of the wedding, Wei Ying was awoken very early by Mingxia and Mingzhu with his grandmother and Yanli. The two maids prepared his bath while the Queen and Yanli started to get everything ready for Wei Ying's big day. Mingzhu and Mingxia helped him bathe. All the dead cells were scrubbed of his body. His hair was washed, and only the best oils were used and massage into his hair and on his body when they were done.

The Queen, as soon as Wei Ying, was seated in front of the mirror, took a brush, and started to brush out his hair until his hair had a healthy and soft shine to it. With each brush stroke, she said a blessing.

"May you be blessed with a lifelong marriage."

She said with the first stroke of brush. Yanli smiled at him as their eyes met in the mirror.

"May you be blessed with a hundred years of harmony in your marriage."

She said with the second stroke of the brush.

"May you be blessed with a home full of children and grandchildren. "

She said with the third stroke of the brush.

Wei Ying were close to tears and blushing profusely at his grandmother's blessings, and Yanli and the two sisters were smiling and  with such love on their faces silently, saying each blessing like a pray with the Queen.

"May you be blessed with a long life, my grandson you, and the crown prince."

She said with the last and final and final stroke of the brush looking at her grandson reflection in the mirror their eyes met, and she placed a soft and loving kiss on the top of his hair.

When she was done, she set the brush aside and helped Wei Ying to stand up. He looked at the four women in front of him and said softly.

"Thank you."

They smiled and started to dress him in his red wedding robes. The hems of his sleeves and robes shone with small golden and intricate embroidery symbols of good fortune and happiness. Threads of soft clouds and pink plumblossoms of images were weaved into the red silk. Once they were done, they made him sit down once again as his grandmother started to do his hair. Tying it up with golden hair pins on his head as Yanli did his face with light red rogue on his cheeks and lips.

Lastly, after everything was done, the Queen placed a golden headdress on his head. Looking at her grandson in the mirror and seeing just how beautiful and magnificent he looks, she could not help the tears that flowed from her eyes.

"Grandmother?."

Wei Ying asked with worry and concern in his voice, and Yanli and the two sisters also looked at the Queen, who seemed so emotional and choked up.

"I am fine. A-Ying. I am just happy that I can share this wonderful and joyful day with you. Your mother and father would be so proud of you and the young man you have grown up to be."