Chapter Twenty-Nine

I'm breathless and sweaty after another round of lovemaking

Even though it is late and my body is too lax and exhausted to move, I'm far from sleepy.

I don't want to close my eyes. I don't want to miss one second of feeling Ryder's hot skin against mine, or how his fingers trail down my spine in a playful manner, curling my toes in the process.

A sigh escapes from his mouth as though he's completely satisfied.

I crawl closer to his side, snuggling against his chest as he wraps his hand around my thigh and hikes it up around his waist. My head lands on the spot where his heart is beating loudly. Then, he embraces me tightly like he wants to erase any minimal distance between us.

I love this. I feel so protected and cherished, I don't want to move a bone in my body. I'm quite content, I believe I can remain here forever.

A small hum leaves my lips. They stretch into a soft smile as I plaster my breasts against his side. The playful tingle of his hand is back on my spine.

My fingers draw small circles on his pec. It still comes as a wonder to run my hands freely through his bare skin. The roped muscles all over his body are hard yet warm.

"I don't think you realize how perfect you look here in my bed, sweetheart," He growls.

The words send delicious ripples down my spine.

"It should be a permanent fixture," He adds. I'm not sure if he's talking to me or just throwing comments out in the air.

At that, his finger stops moving up and down my spine. He's absorbing his words deeply. Something is made up in his mind since his grip on me tightens before he releases my waist and rolls me to the side so he can slide to the edge of the bed.

Quickly, he jumps out of it, completely bare and unbothered. The muscles of his back strain as he rises. Even though the sight is distracting and enticing, I'm more befuddled by his actions.

I frown, propping onto my forearms as my eyes follow his movements across the bedroom.

"Wait, what are you doing?" I ask.

He doesn't answer. He glimpses at me over his shoulder. His gray eyes are glimmering with something I can't read. Before I can't ask more questions, he smiles at me. "I'll be back soon."

With that, he storms out of the bedroom, flicking the lights on.

I'm tempted to follow him, but my muscles are wobbly and exhausted.  So, I roll onto my back and cover my breasts, waiting for him.

It doesn't take him much time before he's back soon. I'm surprised by what he's carrying—my clothes.

I bristle at that. "Ryder?"

He moves to his walk-in closet with some of my skirts and shirts draped over his forearm.

I hop out of bed and search for him. I watch him as he separates his clothes to the side and leaves room for mine. My heart jolts at the gesture.