Chapter Three

"How did it go?" I ask as soon as Ryder steps out of the meeting room

"How did it go?" I ask as soon as Ryder steps out of the meeting room. My hand curls around his arm and I drag him to the side away from prying eyes.

After so many endless late nights, I want to know if it was worth it and not a waste of effort. I can feel a buzzing inside me that tells me this is going to turn out right, but I could be wrong. For the past 3 hours, I've been watching the door of the meeting room like a hawk, waiting for them to finish so I can know the result.

I was tempted to text Ryder but didn't want to bother him even though I've been itching everywhere for the past hours.

The wait was torturous until the door swung open and everyone stepped out in silence. Ryder was the one to exit with pressed lips.

My eyes scan Ryder's and even though he looks as handsome as usual, there are exhausting marks all over his face—bags under his eyes, dropping eyes, pale skin.

He exhales, closing his eyes and I don't let it put me down.

My hand crawls down his arm until I wrap my finger around his large wrist and squeeze it. "Please, tell me it went right..." I plead though the scowl on his face says otherwise.

My heart sinks inside my chest as I study him. I take every detail of his striking face, memorizing his burrowed eyebrows, messy dark locks that I'm itching to fix, and the hint of a downward curl of the lips.

"Cassie," He begins in a soft, dark tone which means he's going to let me down easily.

My shoulders drop. Disappointment crushes against my chest in ricocheting waves.

And then, a second passes and a smile curls on his lips as he chuckles with excitement. "We got the deal."

I freeze for a brief beat before exhaling in relief and then glaring at him. "I hate you! Stop messing with me."

"What?" He raises his eyebrows in innocence. I would be fooled by his expression if he hadn't teased me the other night. "I thought I could joke until 8 PM."

I shake my head, fighting back the grin that's cracking on my face. I can't withhold it for long, especially since Ryder is grinning. "You're the worst."

He lets out another chuckle. The sound vibrates in my chest and stomach.

Once he sobers up, I tell him, "Congratulations, boss." My hand is still wrapped around his wrist, so I give him a squeeze before releasing him. Despite that, I can still feel the heat of his body. We're standing so close that his heady cologne invades my space. "You deserve it. You worked really hard for it."

"We worked hard on it," He corrects me. The small praise sends a shiver down my spine. His face is etched with pride, and I believe I love the sight. "I don't think I could've closed this deal without you, Cassie."

Blood spreads across my cheeks as I nod. "Thanks, boss."

"Come on, overworked employee. I think I owe you a celebration." His hand moves to my lower back to guide me to the elevators. I raise my eyebrows at him.

Reputation (The Lockharts)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara