Chapter Ten

I have never brought any girls to my apartment ever since I bought it a couple of years ago

I have never brought any girls to my apartment ever since I bought it a couple of years ago. Only my little sister Evelyn, and that was because Evelyn was restless in her quest to help me decorate the place.

Nothing can stop that little girl, I swear.

In reality, I don't think I have seen another girl since I met Cassandra 4 years ago, let alone entertain the idea of a one-night stand with anyone else. And now, having her in my place makes my heart burst in my chest because it all feels right.

She's silent as we ride up the elevator to the last floor with our hands intertwined. I haven't let go of her hand since we slid into the cab, enjoying the touch. I have a feeling she likes it too. Like it somehow helps her in a way.

When we step directly into my place, her eyebrows rise in surprise as she takes everything in. She looks mind-blown and I'm itchy to know what's going on in her pretty head.

Does she like it? Will she be comfortable here? Is she excited to stay with me?

When I told her she should stay with me, I didn't think it through. The words just popped out of my mouth without deliberation. Which wasn't absurd since I might have entertained the idea of having her in my private space more than once or twice. It was natural this temporary arrangement was the first thing that popped into my head. Even though it is far different from what I fantasized about.

Besides, I can't have my favorite employee living in a hotel room, much less in an insecure and nasty place she rented quickly because she was desperate to have a roof under her head.

I can't certainly allow the girl I love to do any of that.

I'd rather burn myself first.

If there's any chance to help Cassandra, I don't hesitate.

Also, turning some part of the fantasy of living with Cassandra, even for a few days, into reality is dizzying and exhilarating.

Every night when I had to say goodbye to her, I was left desperate with want for another couple of minutes with her. Whenever I guided her to her cab and watched her slide into the backseat, I wanted to linger just for a few more glimpses.

Watching her leave formed a bitter taste in my mouth.

The idea that now I don't have to say goodbye to her, that now we get to walk to and from work together and get to spend mornings and nights with each other is heady and exhilarating. Even if it's temporary.

The hairs on my back and arm rise in goosebumps while my heart gets lodged in my throat from bolting so hard.

I'm quiet as I observe her take everything in.

Her eyes land on the floor-to-ceiling windows first, showing the incredible view of the city. If she likes it right now in broad daylight, she has no idea how awing it is at night. Sometimes, when I can't sleep, I like to come to the balcony and observe the city in silence. It brims me with tranquility and quietens my overworking mind.