Chapter 50 Pan Keai

The next day, Jie opened the door as she sensed a familiar aura approaching her residence. Sure enough, Pan Tian stood there in the early-morning darkness.

"Are you ready?" the older girl asked.

"Yes," Jie said.

Jie had already stopped by Elder Shi and given her a letter. The older woman had been deep in cultivation, so Jie had just left the letter in her lap. Elder Shi could read it when she was ready. Jie didn't think anyone should ever be disturbed while cultivating. She hated it when anyone did that to her.

Jie followed Pan Tian across the school grounds, through the enormous gate to the academy, and down the long stairs, where Pan Zhanshi waited for them.

"Wow, you're early," he said.

Pan Tian glared at him. "You're the one that told me to go get her now," she said.

"Well yeah... I thought she'd take two hours to get ready. More like you," Pan Zhanshi said.

Pan Tian stomped her foot and huffed.

Jie giggled. "So, will we have to wait?" she asked.

"Only for a bit," he said.

Jie nodded, sat down on the polished stone, and cultivated.

"Heavens... does she ever stop?" Pan Zhanshi asked.

Jie ignored his comment and focused on cultivating while they waited. Sure enough, a while later, she felt a mixture of strong auras heading their way. Well, mostly stronger than the three of them anyway. The strongest of them felt about the same level as Elder Shi, whatever level that may be, but they were all still much weaker than Ming.

Jie opened her eyes and stood up as she dusted off her clothes. It seemed wise to make a good impression on these people. If they could lead her to a way to help Ming... she would gladly owe them almost any debt.

"Here they are," Pan Zhanshi said, "Please, be polite. You're here as a guest, so if anyone causes trouble make sure to tell one of us, but..."

"But, try not to make things difficult for you," Jie said.

"Yeah..." Pan Zhanshi said.

"Don't worry, I'll try," Jie said.

"We know why you did what you did, it's just..." Pan Tian said.

"That your families are all crazy," Jie said.

Pan Zhanshi smiled depreciatingly. "Pretty much," he said.

Elegant carriages rolled into view, pulled by teams of magical beasts. Some of the beasts looked like massive ostriches, only they were blue, had glowing eyes, and thick feathers all over. More like gigantic, bulky crows. The tips of their wings gleamed like sword blades.

Others were pulled by what looked like horses. Though their hooves were made of flames and smoke drifted from their manes. There were more of those horses than there were of the birds, and the carriages they pulled weren't nearly as elegant as the one the birds pulled.

Are the birds rarer in this world or something? Jie wondered.

Armed guards marched alongside the carriages, many of them had slightly weaker auras than the three children. It surprised Jie that they should be so weak. What was the use of such guards? A few were much more powerful, but on the whole, she could probably fight and kill many of the guards. What protection did they offer when that was the case?

As though having seen Jie's confused frown as she looked at the guards, Pan Tian leaned in and whispered into her ear.

"Not everyone is as strong as you. They're enough to protect the weaker ones in the family. Especially for shopping trips like this one," she said.