Chapter 24 The Chen Family Hall

While Jie was enjoying a carefree night, Elder Kanev was having an entirely different time.

He strode up to the looming structure of the Chen family hall.

Guards stood lined up along either side of the entrance and as Elder Kanev approached the shining metal doors, they opened. The metal groaned ominously as a pair of servants shuffled out, carrying a charred corpse between them.

Elder Kanev swallowed hard, wondering if he would be next.

A servant of the Chen family wearing fine black silks inlaid with gold gestured toward the open doorway.

"Lord Chen will see you now," said the servant.

Elder Kanev nodded but said nothing as he walked into the hall. The interior was massive and spacious, arranged like an opulent indoor amphitheater. His footsteps echoed loudly upon the polished onyx floor.

Chen family elders sat high above him, yet he dared not look into any of their eyes. Ahead of him, sitting above all others, was Lord Chen Liang. His wives sat at his sides yet slightly below him and shadowy figures lurked in the darkness behind him.

The flickering flames of the braziers around the amphitheater cast deep, dancing shadows over Lord Chen Liang's perfect features and Elder Kanev looked away the instant he caught himself daring to look upon him. Thankfully, their eyes had not met.

When Elder Kanev reached the center of the enormous room, he knelt down and bowed his head, resting his hammer beside him.

Frost crept over the polished onyx from where his hammer rested as Elder Kanev stared at his reflection in the dark stone, wondering if that would be the last thing he ever saw.

Even at this distance, he felt Lord Chen Liang's aura weighing upon him despite being largely restrained. It made it difficult for Elder Kanev to breathe and cold sweat crept over his skin before freezing.

"Kanev Kormak, Elder of the Crimson Academy, once of the clan Kanev of the Frozen Wastes, has come to see you, my Lord Chen," intoned the servant that had ushered him in. Every word was pronounced with flawless, ritualistic perfection.

And, somehow, it only served to make Elder Kanev even more uncomfortable. He'd faced many beasts in his time. Fought his way through fire, ice, and death. Walked for days, certain he would bleed to death upon the snow... and yet, kneeling before Lord Chen, with his past laid bare with the casual ease of titles made him more uncomfortable.

What little he knew of the man made even the most violent, cruel beasts seem downright pleasant by comparison. He'd have avoided this meeting, perhaps even run, if he'd thought for a moment there was anywhere he could go that would truly be beyond Lord Chen Liang's reach.

Time seemed to crawl by before Lord Chen Liang deigned to speak.

"Elder Kanev, did you not promise me my son's entrance to the Crimson Academy would be ensured?" Lord Chen Liang said. His tone was measured, yet it carried a menacing edge to it.

"Lord Chen Liang, I made every--"

"Did you or did you not promise me?" Lord Chen Liang asked.

"I did," Elder Kanev said.

"And have you delivered on that promise?" Lord Chen Liang said.

"No, my lord. A thousand apologies for my failure. I gave your son ample beast cores and healing pills to qualify, but he was attacked by another applicant and she stole them," Elder Kanev said.

"I'm aware," Lord Chen Liang said, "The question is, why did you allow this to happen?"

"Forgiveness, my lord. I should've taken further precautions," Elder Kanev said.