Chapter 4 Prey

They glided over the city streets faster than a car could move, winding, twisting, and turning behind blue echoes of men who moved as though someone had pressed the fast-forward button multiple times on a movie.

And, as they did so, Jie had the growing feeling that Ming was an exceptionally weird dragon.

He'd taken her to her old home, released a cloud of energy, and now moments later they were chasing down the men who'd taken everything from her. Could he really track them down just like that?

That wasn't what made her think he was weird though. Using magical energy and doing impossible things seemed like something a dragon should do. Rather, it was the fact he'd started whistling that annoyingly cheerful tune!

They were on their way to enact cold and brutal vengeance! This was serious business!

And that damn tune was catchy too. It wormed its way into her brain until she found herself humming along to it, desperately trying and failing to fight a smile that tugged at her lips.

Revenge was wrong. That was what so many had told her all her life. What books, movies, and stories of all kinds always said. What they were doing was evil... what she had asked for was evil. She should feel anguish and turmoil in her soul... not this damnably infectious cheerfulness like they were out skipping in a field!

Finally, she couldn't take it anymore. "Why on earth are you so happy?" she asked.

Ming craned his serpentine neck and looked down at her. "Why shouldn't I be?" he asked.

"Because this isn't something to be happy about. Revenge is wrong. I still want it... I'm prepared to pay whatever price I must, but it isn't something to be happy about," she said.

The dragon laughed heartily. "What foolish thought is that? Revenge is delightful!" Ming said, "They haven't even wronged me, and I shall enjoy destroying these slimes on your behalf.

"Thieves and murderers. Ha! I would spit upon their graves, but they are unworthy of such dignity. It's just too bad we can't spend the appropriate time on it. We have too much to do, I'm afraid. We can't afford to torture these fools for a hundred years."

Jie's mouth hung open. "But... they say that to kill a murderer makes you just like them... am I not evil for wishing them dead?" she asked.

Ming looked at her as though she were insane. "Killing a murderer is viewed the same way as killing two innocent people and crippling their child? What a strange world you live in," he said, "hmm... they frequent that building. Let's take a closer look. Maybe we can save a bit of time."

He flew down to an old warehouse with paint peeling from its walls in a rundown part of town as she chewed over his words.

Was Ming right? It hardly seemed fair that she should be deemed evil for asking for the death of evil men... and what had others done? They still walked free, didn't they?

The police had never even caught them!

She remembered another quote she'd read somewhere... that all that was necessary for the triumph of evil was for good men to stand by and do nothing.

Well, they'd done nothing!

She couldn't wait to see those men suffer. If that made her evil then so be it.

Ming flew straight toward one of the warehouse's many boarded-up windows and smashed through the thick wooden planks as though they weren't even there. A cloud of splinters followed in his wake as he slithered through the air into the darkness within the building.