Epilogue - The wedding

Shanthi brought 3 cups of ginger tea along with some biscuits and placed it on the center table. Leela smiled and said, "Thanks Shanthi" and then looked up at Arohi and SK saying, "Eduthukonga. Shanthi's ginger tea is always perfect for this Ooty weather." So saying, she grabbed her cup along with the homemade ginger snap.

Arohi and SK reached out for their cups and took a sip. Arohi gently touched Leela's hand saying, "Inge ippidi thaniya irukkardhukku Neenga enga kooda vandhu irukalaame. You have been working so hard all your life. Isn't it time to retire and rest?" Leela chuckled and gently touched Arohi's cheek. She then stood up and pointed towards the hills afar, "Arohi Adho paaru. Do you see those mountains? Every morning I sit here in this porch to watch the sun rise. I lay my yoga mat right here and do my postures every morning and then I meditate in open air. I am not in a rush for anything."

"Yes I live in this cottage by myself but you know what I have always wanted? My freedom. I worked as a professor. I raised my son to be independent and now I am living my life. At 65 God has given me good health. I enjoy being the principal of this little village school. I have a good amount of savings and my pension is more than enough for my livelihood. I enjoy walking down the hill to get to the school. I see God in the smiles of those children when I enter the school every morning and I have Shanthi who helps me take care of this place. One big lesson I have learnt is never to depend on anyone and never to be a burden on anyone. I will come visit you and you too are welcome anytime. It is a small house but there is enough room for us all."

SK smiled and said, "Ruhi naan ithana varshama koopadaamaya irundhiruppen? Ippo nee koopta mattum varava poraanga but  tomorrow is a special day and I am glad we are doing it in this gorgeous place." Arohi smiled.

It had been almost a year since Arohi had moved in with SK and it was evident that they did not want to be any place else other than beside each other. After Arohi got to know the truth of her past, her nightmares slowly started to disappear. Her father had left her some shares, bond and quite a bit of money but Arohi did not want any of those. She transferred all of that to Manju and Lakshmi. Manju insisted on donating a portion of that to an NGO that worked on protecting and educating girls born in red light areas. The NGO was called "Udaan".

Although, SK had insisted on Arohi meeting Leela, it had taken her some time. She was afraid to face Leela because she had seen the vulnerable, broken Arohi but finally when she met the elderly woman, she realized how generous and kind she was. She wasn't judging Arohi and welcomed her with open arms. It had been Arohi's first trip to Ooty. It was the most beautiful hill station. SK knew every nook and corner. They went on a beautiful hike one morning to the peak from where the whole city was visible. Right there on the top of the hill, SK went on one knee and proposed to her, "Ruhi, I know this was not in our plan but I have been thinking about it. I have been thinking of one reason why we shouldn't get married and I got none. I know I cannot even imagine a life without you. We know each other completely. We have bared completely in front of each other and there are no more secrets. Ruhi, I really want to spend the rest of our lives together happily. We both deserve it. Will you please say yes and marry me?"

Arohi looked at him and chuckled, "You are such a cringy drama...q...king but you are so darn cute so......" she screamed until the echos came back to them roaring with her "Yes". He got up, put the ring in her fingers and their lips met. They were literally on top of the world. They had decided that it was going to be a registered marriage. They made arrangements for Manju and Lakshmi to join them in Ooty.

Manju had brought a pattu veshti and sattai for Ansh which he gladly accepted. Arohi opened the saree box gifted by her dad. She hadn't opened it yet. She wanted to open it only if she was getting marrried. Now, with the wedding just a week away, she decided to pull it out of the bag wedding. Arohi opened the wrapper to find a beautiful red and gold saree. She was overwhelmed but what brought her to tears was the gorgeous border.

SK was ready. He gently knocked on the door, "is my bride ready? Can I see her?" He heard a quick, "Just a moment". Then he heard the click and the door opened. Arohi looked dazzling in the saree. She wore minimal jewelry. Her hair was plaited and adorned with jasmine. Kajal made her doe eyes look ever more beautiful and the bindi between her eyebrows completed the look. SK had never seen her like this. His heart skipped a beat but then he noticed her pallu. He quickly hugged her. He realized how important this was to her but she gently whispered, "I always wanted him to be present at my wedding and now he is." SK nodded and kissed her forehead.

As they walked to the temple to exchange garlands and tie the thali that Leela had made for Arohi, she held her pallu to reveal the custom made design of that same childhood pic of her with her father, that was hanging on the walls of the ancestral home.

Brinda Subramanian

The End - Thus ends another story. This was, by far, the most difficult ones to write just because I was not able to relate to my characters but, like I always say, a story speaks for itself. We, as writers, are just an instrument. Thank you all yet again for the continued love and support. See you all again soon.