Empathy

AK took a moment. Her hug was comforting but he did not wrap his arm around her. She held him for a couple of minutes before letting go. He still wasn't looking up but he held her hands and she let him. She said softly, "Sollunga SK." That's when he looked up at her with weary eyes. It looked as if he had suddenly aged. He smiled feebly and continued, "Adhukku aparam Appa irukkum podhu naan kitchen pakkam poga maaten. Amma appidiye kashta pattu M.Ed mudichu full time Assistant professor aa join pannitaanga. Naanum nalla padichutten."

"Appa's business was going well and it was quite evident that he was cheating on Amma with several women. His casting couch stories reached my ears occasionally. I was hoping Amma would not hear about it. At least we never spoke about that. Finally, one day, Amma decided to talk to him about separation. I was in school. It wasn't until much later that I understood a lot of things. Amma had left her loving family to marry Appa because he had insisted. He had left his family as well. The first few years of their marriage was beautiful as usual but then Appa's true colors started to show up."

"Amma's only intention was to complete her studies and be independent. Appa was helping her financially so she kept quiet. She knew her day would come but when that happened, she wanted to be independent and provide a good life for me. Appa was shocked. He begged Amma to stay and promised to behave. Amma decided to give him a second chance.  For a while, Appa's abuse stopped. I did not have a relationship with him to begin with so it was easy for me to avoid him. I went on to high school and then college."

"I was very naive Ruhi. I trusted everyone. I thought people were good. I grew up to be a good looking young man. From an all boys school I was now in a co-education college and, I won't lie, but I enjoyed the attention I was getting, from the girls" he blushed. Arohi chuckled and, to lighten up the mood she said, "Aahaaa vekkatha paaru yen chellathukku?" which made SK laugh out loud. He took a sip of his coffee which was now cold. Arohi tried to get up saying, "Can I get you more coffee?" But he quickly held her wrist and stopped her, "Illa Maa nee inge ukkaru, En pakkathula." So she sat right down.

He looked very sad and was continuously clearing his throat without saying anything. Arohi handed him her water bottle and he quickly drank some from it handing it back to her. He then started popping his knuckles which clearly indicated that he was nervous. He then looked up at Arohi and said, "Ruhi ippo naan solla pora vishayam thaan enna romba baadhichudhu. But, adhu kettu nee eppidi react pannuve nu nenacha konjam kavalaya irukku. I know you won't judge but the way you look at me might change. Adhu thaan.. I am a little reluctant."

Arohi was holding his hands but she gently let go and cupped his face. She looked into his eyes and said, "Ungalukku onnu theriyuma? I really feel the universe has brought us together to heal each other. Anshu, I really like you and nothing in this world will change that. You know my entire story and how broken I am, yet you asked me to move in with you." She pulled herself closer and looked into his eyes. She then whispered, "You are my Anshu. Do you know what that means? It means ray of sun. My life was extremely dark. All I saw was the terrible nightmare night after night. You are the reason for me to see a ray of sun. Actually, before you continue, I want to tell you something. I have not felt this kind of trust with anyone." She then rested her forehead on his and said, "I have thought about it and I want to move in with you. We deserve a chance in life Anshu. Life has been unfair to both of us and it is time for us to loosen up and have some fun."

SK gulped the threatening choke. His eyes were getting wet. He cupped her face and they both smiled. Arohi quickly pecked his lips and waited a moment. He closed his eyes but held on to her cheeks and their foreheads were still touching. He placed a kiss on her lips. At first it was a peck but she immediately opened her mouth slightly and pulled herself closer. His lips took control of her lover lip. It was soft and tender. A liplock which started as a gentle one soon became passionate and their tongues were reaching out. Her hands moved from his cheeks to his shirt, unbuttoning it. Her hands were now on his toned chest. Her lips were suckling around his neck. He stretched himself on the couch giving her access to his, now, bare chest. They were beginning to breathe heavily.

This was not about just physical intimacy anymore. They were learning to console each other's broken souls. They understood the needs of each other. This wasn't about two young people making out. It was about physical and emotional partnership. The amount of time you know each other does not determine how good you can be for each other. Anshu and Ruhi had realized this. It was an "Aahaa" moment for both of them. She had not heard the darkest part of his story yet but that did not matter. She had made up her mind to stand by him, come what may. She did not care about what he was going to reveal. He deserved to be loved.

Ruhi, due to her own emotions, easily recognized that her Anshu needed a break. He needed to be comforted. He needed to be loved. Rest of his story could wait for now.

Brinda Subramanian