Men don't cry?

SK got carried away in moment but suddenly stopped when he realized what she had said. He opened his eyes and whispered, "Enna sonne?" She looked at him confused, "Edhu pathi?" He adjusted his position and said, "Wait, did you say that you will move in with me?" She smiled. His face lit up and he smiled widely, "Really? Wow! This is exciting. I... don't know what to say." She chuckled, "Yes. Neenga kettadhu lerndhu I have been thinking about it. I was thinking of all possible reasons to say no but the only one I could think of was fear. Usually I succumb to my fears but this time I have decided to fight it. Edhuva irundhaalum paathukkalaam nu thonudhu."

He hugged her tightly, "Yes let's do this maa. Edhuva irundhaalum paathukalaam but adhukku munnadi I want to tell you the rest of my story. I need you to rethink after you hear me out fully. Unakku tired aa irukku na nee poi thoongu maa. Naan appidiye kelambaren and we can meet again, may be, next weekend, that is if you are free." Arohi sat up and said, "Illai enakku thookam ellam varale. I want to hear it all. Neenga ok na sollunga." He nodded.

"Shilpa. I met her for the first time in the college campus. She was gorgeous, the super model types. The entire college wanted to befriend her. She was an amazing dancer. I was always an introvert so my friend circle was very small. Shilpa danced like a breeze and, just like the others, I too fell for her but never had the courage to approach her. She wouldn't give a guy like me a second look, right? At least that's what I thought until one morning, while I was sitting with my friends, she smiled at me. At first I did not believe it but my friends got excited. They insisted that she indeed smiled at me. That's when it all began."

"Shilpa started finding reasons to talk to me. Before I realized what was happening, I fell into her spell. I was like a puppy following her around and acting like her puppet. I was completely lost in her. My world revolved around her. She would insist on going to fancy restaurants and pass the bill to me. I took up a part time job because Amma started questioning me about how come I was spending so much all of a sudden. I fell head over heels in love with her. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. I had invested my heart and soul into our relationship. Yes, relationship. At least, that's what it was for me. I was so invested that I ignored all the warnings. My friends tried to tell me that she was using me but I didn't believe them. How could I? We were in love right?"

"After several months, Shilpa one day asked me for something. She said that her dream was to be seen in big screen. She wanted to become an actress. She knew who my father was so she wanted an intro. I tried to tell her that I did not have a good relationship with my dad but she insisted and emotionally blackmailed me to reach out to me for her sake. By this time, I knew what he had done to me and my Amma but I approached him for her sake. I got an appointment for her and even dropped her off. Knowing him, I took her there."

SK started to tremble and Arohi immediately recognized his body language. She knew how difficult this was for him. She quickly handed him some more water. She held on to his trembling hands whispering, "It's ok Anshu. You did not do anything wrong. It was not your fault." He nodded and with trembling voice he said, "Appa, of course, loved what he saw. I had told him that she was my girlfriend. After her meeting with Appa, Shilpa started to avoid me. She kept giving excuses about being busy. She dropped out of college. I was lost not knowing what to do. Soon there was an ad in a magazine with her pic. She was the heroine for a big movie whose casting director was Appa. Although there were red flags everywhere, my heart refused to see it."

"Shilpa had blocked my number. She was ghosting me and this was driving me crazy. I felt guilty and blamed myself. I tried to find reasons for her to leave me. I did not want to believe the well known secret of casting couch. I did not want to believe that my father and my girlfriend would do this to me but rumours were everywhere. Pics started to come out where they were seen together holding hands and then, one day, I saw it myself. I was on my bike and was stopped at a light. I happened to see Appa's car next to mine. He was with Shilpa in the back seat and they were making out. The same girl who had made me believe that I was the best thing that had happened to her, had used me knowing who my father was."

"Right from the beginning, all she wanted from me was to reach him. She had been so selfish but I had been too naive. I felt so dirty and used. My love for her was true, Ruhi. I had never hurt anyone in my life then why me? Why did she have to take me through all this? She could have approached me to just get his connection. At least I wouldn't have been so emotionally attached. I.... I.... was so stupid, Ruhi." Arohi held his hands, "No Anshu don't blame yourself. It wasn't your fault. Trust me." SK quickly grabbed his shirt and said, "I am sorry Ruhi but I have to leave now. I...I... can't look at you at this time. I just feel so little at this time. I have to go."

Although Arohi wanted to stop him, she knew he needed to deal with his emotions right now, in a way he knew best. She decided to let him be, for now, but Arohi realized that she had an important job ahead. Trusting someone was not easy for her Anshu. Love and only love will mend him....actually, mend them.

Brinda Subramanian