Session 2

Arohi walked up to the door without looking at SK. He smiled noticing that she was trying to ignore him. He opened the door wide to let her in and she walked up to the comfortable chair, placing her purse on the floor. He shut the door and walked past her towards his chair saying, "Purse a venumna table la vachukonga. My mother always used to say that the floor sucks all your money away, if left on the floor." Arohi rolled her eyes and mumbled, "I don't believe in such things." Nevertheless, she promptly picked up the purse and placed it on the table. SK chuckled and scratched his eyebrow, looking away. She glared at him and he folded his palms and mumbled a "sorry". She sighed and said, "Seri arambikkalama? I am here as your patient and have to pay you by the hour so please don't waste my time."

He smiled and nodded saying, "Ok madam" then his face became serious and he said, "Miss Arohi, before we continue,I want to assure you of something. I know that you do not like me one bit and I don't blame you. I am very aware of who I am and I am not a pleasure to hang out with but I promise to be a good doctor. Here, you are my patient and you can trust me. I will try to push you just a little bit with each session. This might not be easy but the end goal is for you to feel better. Most people push their traumas away and try to lead a normal life until it manifests on their physical body. That's exactly what is happening to you. Your mental situation is crying out for help, starting with insomnia and now the recent passing out. Let's work together to help resolve this and make you feel better. Is that ok? Just think about it, once you feel better, you will not have to see me ever again." For the very first time, SK noticed a slight smile on Arohi's face. She sighed and nodded, "Ok. I too will try not to bring my opinion about you, into these sessions. So where do we begin?"

SK looked up at her and said, "First close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. Inhale and exhale. One more time inhale and exhale. One final time take a deep breath in, hold it for four counts and exhale. Now gently open your eyes." Arohi felt a sudden sense of calmness. She looked into his eyes which was suddenly filled with kindness. He had taken the role of the doctor, who was very different from SK the man. Her thoughts were interrupted by his warm voice, "Let's start from the beginning. Take me to your parents." Arohi looked at him for a second, confused but then she understood what he meant so she cleared her throat, "My mother's name was Saraswathi. Everyone called her Saras. She was born into a very wealthy family. My grandfather was an industrialist and among the top 10 in the country. My mother was born to her parents after several years of their marriage so she was everything to my grandfather. My grandmother, unfortunately, passed away when my mother was very young and I never came to find out how. My grandfather had wanted a son but doted on my mother and gave her everything. He spoilt her rot. My mother grew up to be a gorgeous young girl. She became a super model at the age of 17. My grandfather had connections everywhere and that helped my mom move up the ladder very fast, much to the dismay of the other girls. My mom was seen at every high status parties. Movie offers started coming her way. That's how my mom met my dad, the young, talented director Mr. Krishnakumar. Every girl wanted to work with him because of how he wrote his characters and portrayed them on screen. His women on screen were the epitome of beauty. His female characters portrayed dignity but it wasn't easy to be cast in his movie. My mother was upset because he was one man who wouldn't give her a second look. My dad had a story which was ahead of its times. Although he was a critically acclaimed director, no one was willing to finance his ambitious project. When my grandfather heard about it, he decided to pay him a visit. He agreed to finance the project but the only condition was that he had to cast my mother. Dad agreed but with the condition that he would audition her because he was looking for someone slightly older than a, then 18 year old, Saras but she was a revelation and she surprised dad with her performance. My dad was a tough task master but my mom put in the hardwork and dedication. There were times when it broke my grandfather's heart to see my dad torture my mom for his movie but my mom never once complained. May be she did so because she had fallen in love with him. He was almost 15 years older to her and had a reputation of being a playboy but my mother couldn't help falling for him. They worked in three movies consecutively and by the end of the third movie, at the age of 22, my mom found out that she was pregnant. My dad was upset and wanted her to get an abortion done but unfortunately it was a bit too late for that. My grandfather intervened and, for the sake of his own reputation, my dad married my mom. He was never in love with her. She was just his heroine. He loved her talent. She was just one more of the several women he had slept with but destiny had other plans. My mom wasn't thrilled about the pregnancy either. She was worried about the extra weight, the stretch marks etc. So, finally, lucky me, was invited into this world reluctantly. No one wanted me but I came screaming and crying."

Arohi stopped. Her heart was starting to feel heavy. SK opened up a bottle of water and handed it to her, "Relax. Drink this. I know this is all too much but believe me, you are doing a great job." His voice felt warm and his words heartfelt. She looked up at him and their eyes met. For the very first time it felt comforting. She saw honesty in his eyes which she had failed to notice before. She thanked him for the water and he nodded with a smile. An hour had passed by and it was time to end the session. He told her to try the breathing technique that he had done at the beginning of the session, just before going to sleep, and let him know if it improved her insomnia in any way. After making an appointment for the following week, she paid her fees and thanked him for his time. As she walked out of his office, she stopped at the door, glanced back and they both exchanged smiles.

He stood there until she disappeared out of the building. He then grabbed his belongings, turned off the lights, locked his office and left, with Arohi occupying his mind completely.

Brinda Subramanian