Contemplating

Arohi was very distracted in the office. She could not shake SK off her mind. She couldn't help remembering how he made her feel. She felt safe with him. She felt comfortable with him touching her. She wanted that. She had yearned for this kind of love and respect all her life and now, when it was happening, she was confused. Was this too good to be true?

Joe interrupted her thoughts, "Ma'am you called for me and you seem to be lost..." Arohi's face flushed in embarrassment. She hadn't realized that Joe was in her office. She smiled sheepishly and said, "Oh I am so sorry Joe. I...was...just. Did you schedule my meeting with Mr. Bhuvan? His company has requested for a loan but I have some clarifications and would like to meet him in person." Joe nodded saying, "Ma'am I have reached out to his secretary. He is out of town this week so she said she will call us back once he returns." Arohi nodded and thanked Joe.

Joe stood there hesitating. Arohi looked up at him and said, "That is all I needed Joe. Is there something you want to say?" Joe smiled, "Ma'am I am not sure if I am crossing my boundaries but... if you don't mind....can I say something?" Arohi smiled and nodded, "Of course Joe. Please do." Joe said, "Ma'am I don't know what it is but off late I see you smile a lot more and it is very heart warming. Whatever or whoever it is that's making you smile is doing the right thing. I just wanted to say this. I hope I didn't cross my line."

Arohi smiled back. She had known Joe for a while now. Although their working relationship was excellent, he had never once asked her or discussed anything personal with her. So Arohi knew that he must have thought a million times before bringing this up to her. Joe was almost like a big brother but she was surprised that she was so transparent. She nodded and said, "Thank you. I will keep that in mind." Joe nodded and left the office.

Arohi pulled her phone out from her drawer and looked. SK had not messaged her. Although she knew he wouldn't, she felt slightly disappointed. She knew that he wanted to give her the time and space she needed but missed him too. Just then Arohi's phone blinked jolting her. It was a message from Aisha, "free for dinner tonight? I have some news." Arohi looked at the message and mumbled, "Hmmm.... Just the person I need right now." She smiled and replied, "Let me know the place and time. I'll be there."

Arohi hadn't met Aisha since the weekend at the resort. It was always relaxing with Aisha. Arohi got busy with work until she looked up at the time. It was 7. She decided to log off for the day. She grabbed her purse and walked out of her office. The restaurant was only few blocks away so Arohi decided to walk. It was a beautiful full moon night. It took her about 20 minutes to get to the restaurant. Aisha was already there and waved at her directing her towards the table. Arohi smiled and waved back as she walked up to her.

Aisha got up to give Arohi a hug, "Hiii, ethana naal aachu Unna paathu. Eppidi irukke?" Then she looked intently at Arohi's face and asked in a teasing time, "Eiii enna nadakkudhu? Unnoda mugathula oru pudhu polivu theriyudhe?" Arohi blushed but rubbished her saying, "Polivum illai oru mannum illai. Nee vera. Seri adhu vidu ippo nee sollu. Ennamo news irukku nu sonniye." Aisha smiled and touched her stomach saying, "Arohi we are pregnant. Inniki thaan check panittu vandhen. Three months aachu. Actually resort weekend podhe sollalaam nu irundhen but unakku thaan theriyuma that I have had two early miscarriages nu. So I wanted to wait. Plus andha weekend oru nightmare madiri pochu."

Arohi held Aisha's hands and said, "Congrats Aisha, I am so so so happy for you guys. You will make the best parents and I can spoil this baby to my hearts content. I have to be the favorite aunt you see" she chuckled. Aisha thanked her and said, "Actually unakkum Ansh kum mattum thaan theriyum. Inniki thaan Aman called him to give the news. Actually...." Just then they were interrupted by the voice of Aman who was closely followed by SK. Aman said, "Arohi how are you" and extended his arms for a hug.

Arohi, though, was very distracted by the guy behind Aman. He smiled at her and quickly winked at her,making her blush and look away. Just when Aman was about to take his seat next to Arohi, SK gently pushed Aman to a seat next to Aisha so that he could sit next to Arohi. He sipped water from the glass placed on the table and looked at Arohi, "Hi Arohi, how are you? Romba naal aana madiri irukku la namma meet panni and he quickly winked again, making sure Aisha and Aman weren't looking."

Arohi's face turned crimson and she grabbed the cup next to her, gulping the water. She, accidentally, gulped too fast and choked on it. When she started coughing, SK quickly patted her back. Aisha noticed that Arohi's body language did not change. Aisha had known Arohi for along time and she knew very well and Arohi was not comfortable with physical touch, but when she noticed this, she knew something was up. She knew Arohi and SK had continued to meet after the resort weekend. She was, in fact, hoping that they had met, not as a doctor and patient but in an attempt to get to know each other.

Aisha, more than anyone, knew Arohi and Ansh were really good for each other.

Brinda Subramanian