Opening new doors

Arohi stepped into a beautiful, cosy villa. As soon as she stepped in she realized that SK had aesthetic taste. Everything from the furniture to the wall color to the artifacts were picked with utmost care. She was amazed at how clean the house was. She was, infact, a little surprised because it was an assumption that bachelors didn't care much for their house. Arohi smiled. She liked what she saw, both him and his home.

Her thoughts were interrupted by his base voice, "Please make yourself comfortable. Can I get you something to drink?" He walked up to his fridge and said, "I have red wine. Would you like some?" Arohi nodded. He opened the shelf to get two small wine glasses which he filled half way. He then handed one to her and gestured, "cheers". He then quickly grabbed the apron and put in on before opening the oven.

Arohi's heart fluttered. There was something extremely sexy about a guy in his apron. SK was just perfect. She couldn't believe that a guy that she hated so much initially and seemed to be a red flag, was turning out to be the perfect boyfriend/ husband material. She didn't realize that she was staring at him until he looked at her and raised his eyebrows, "Enna maa appidi paakare?" Uffff that maa... he was driving her crazy. She blushed and looked away nodding, "Illai onnum illai." He checked on the lasagna. It was perfect. He quickly chopped some vegetables for a salad and poured a dressing that he had made from scratch.

It wasn't an elaborate meal. He had made a salad, lentil soup with sour dough bread, vegetable lasagna and a freshly baked pumpkin pie for dessert. He placed it all at the table and said, "Sorry ellame vegetarian thaan. I should have asked you first. Naan vegetarian. I assumed that was ok with you." She smiled, "Of course. This looks delicious and thank you because Naanum vegetarian thaan so this works." He noticed that her glass was empty and said, "Would you like me to get you some more wine?" She nodded, "No thanks. I don't drink very often and even on those rare occasions I stop with one drink. I don't have a great history with alcohol but can I get some water please?" He quickly handed her a glass of cold water saying, "you must be hungry. Vaa sapadlaam. Aparam...." He hesitated, "Unkitta pesanum."

She looked at him confused but she was famished and dinner looked delicious. SK took off his apron and hung it back on the hook. He offered to serve her but she stopped him saying, "Illai Neenga ukkarunga. Namma appidiye saaptukalaam." Arohi took a bite of the salad first and said, "Wow! Indha dressing semmaya irukku. Neenga Doctor aa illai chef aa?" SK laughed, "Enakku chinna vayasu lerndhe cooking na romba pudikkum but enga Appa ku Adhellam pudikkadhu." His face looked sad but he quickly smiled saying, "Anyway, now that I am alone naan YouTube paathu try pannuven. Nee?" Arohi smiled, "I cook but passion ellam illai."

They spoke random things as they ate and Arohi continued to compliment his cooking everytime she tried another dish. Finally, Arohi helped him clean up and they walked up to the living room, each with a small bowl of hot pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top. When Arohi finished eating, SK took the bowl from her hand and placed it on the center table. He then turned to look at her. She looked up.

SK looked into her eyes and said, "Arohi I have something to tell you aana adhu unakku oru trigger point aa irukalaam." He held out his hand and Arohi automatically placed hers on his. He held her hand and gently moved closer to her. He noticed the expression on her face change from happiness to anxiety. Her palm was starting to get cold but he held it gently and said, "Arohi do you trust me? Do you believe that I will never do anything to hurt you?" Arohi nodded. SK continued, "There is a reason why I needed to talk to you at home, at our private space. I cannot keep this information from you Arohi. I don't want to pretend to be someone else with you."

Arohi started to panic, "You are scaring me SK. What is it? Please tell me." SK looked into her eyes and said, "Arohi, we have met before." Arohi chuckled, "Of course we have. I am your patient remember?" SK wasn't laughing. He was serious, "No not that. We have met before. Do you remember Mrs. Leela Kathir?" Arohi's eyes widened. She pulled her hand away from him and stood up, "Who are you? I did not do anything to her." Arohi started sweating. SK got up and held Arohi's shoulder, "Arohi I know you did not do anything. I was doing my residency in the psych department when I saw you for the first time. I recognized you as soon as you came into my office but you did not remember me."

Arohi started breathing heavily, "I... I ... need to go. I didn't mean to...." With trembling hands she tried to pull out her phone from the purse, "I... need to call for a cab. I.... have to go home." SK held her shoulders and said, "Arohi, look at me." She looked up and said, "Mrs. Leela Kathir short for Kathirvelavan, is my mother." Arohi's eyes were filled with tears. Her entire body froze. She started mumbling, "I didn't do it... I didn't mean to hurt her...I... I." SK quickly cupped her face recognizing that she was having an attack, "Arohi, look at me. I know you didn't do it intentionally. Arohi... Arohi, are you with me."

Arohi was lost. Her eyes started to roll back and she started to faint. SK held her and slowly lay her on the couch. He knew this would probably happen but he needed to let her know. This was going to open several internal doors for her. SK recognized that he was falling for her but before acknowledging his feeling for her, he needed to fix her.

Brinda Subramanian