Breezy evening

The dinner went on to be a pleasant evening. Both the food and the company were enjoyable. Although Aisha did not say much, she definitely did not fail to notice the twinkle on her friends eyes when Ansh spoke to her or the way Ansh moved in an inch just to look at Arohi's animated expressions while she was telling a story. Aisha smiled when she observed Arohi's comfortable body language with Ansh while she fondly smacked his shoulder or even when he fed her a spoon of his dish asking Arohi to taste it.

It all seemed organic and natural. When it was time for them to bid goodbye to each other, Aisha casually said, "It is quite late. Arohi, I don't want you to get into a cab all by yourself at this time. Ansh, can you please drop her off for my sake please?" Just when she noticed Arohi beginning to nod her head, Aisha stopped her saying, "Don't leave a pregnant woman worried about you. Just do as I say." Obviously there was no way to argue that. SK gestured Arohi towards his car and opened the door for her to sit.

Aisha smiled and waved at the couple before driving away with her husband. Once the car started to move Aman noticed Aisha sniffling, "Eiii enna achu? Yen azharey? Naan restaurant liye notice paninen nee konjam emotional aa irundhe. What's going on?" Aisha's voice was shaky but she said, "These are happy tears. I am so happy for Arohi and Ansh. I noticed something beautiful today. Those two are so in love. You know, I have known Arohi since school. I have never seen her eyes twinkle like this for anyone. That girl deserves all the happiness in the world and Ansh. Poor Ansh has had his share of heart break too. They will make each other so happy. I just hope they recognize this and embrace it sooner than later." She then touched her stomach lovingly and smiled, "God is finally working His wonders."

It was a beautiful night. It was slightly breezy so SK asked, "The night is so beautiful. How about a kutty drive by the beach before heading home?" Arohi smiled, "Ok polaame. Eppidiyum weekend thaan so onnum avasaram illai." SK opened up the moon roof and started to zip through. He played his favorite playlist of Simbu songs.

Arohi was laughing her heart out. SK frowned saying, "Yen maa ippidi sirikirey? Naan avalo kevalama vaa paadinen?" Loose Penne was playing in the background. Everything was going well until SK decided to sing along and Arohi just could not stop herself. She said, "SK Neenga nalla thaan paadareenga but konjam Shruti serndha, thalam correct aa vizhundha innum super aa irukkum. Vera onnum illai?" SK pouted, "Enakku music naa evvalo pudikkum theriyuma?" Arohi felt bad for him and said, "Sorry sorry naan sirichirukka koodadhu."  SK slowed down the car and stopped at a quiet spot. He lowered the windows down for the cool breeze to hit their faces.

Arohi closed her eyes to enjoy the moment . The moon shone directly on Arohi's face and the breeze gently played with her hair. SK felt his heart fluttering at this sight. He stared at her. She was so gorgeous and then it happened. She started humming something and he gaped at her. When she opened her eyes and realized he was looking at her, she blushed and stopped right away. He smiled and said in his base voice, "Paadu maa, please enakaaga paada maatiya?" Her little heart did a summersault. She said, "Enakku... paada ellam varadhu. Edho Chumma.... Appappo... konjam." SK placed his hand on his cheek with his focus on her and repeated, "Please maa please maa enakaaga rende rendu line."

Arohi blushed again and looked away. She then looked at her surrounding which was empty. The sound of the waves was the only thing they heart. She closed her eyes and slowly started,

"Unakaaga Vaazha ninaikaren
  Usuroda vaasam pudikaren
  Pudavai madikkaiyil unnathaan madikiren
  Oru nooru varusham pesa nenachi
  Tholil Thoongiduven
  Unakaaga Unakaaga"

She opened her eyes and their eyes met. There was a moment of silence while their eyes were communication. The silence was broken by him saying, "wow, nee paadumpodhu ketukitte irukalaam pola irukku. That was so soulful and divine." He then chuckled saying, "Enakaaga ve paadina madiri irundhuchu." She smiled and rolled her eyes saying, "Appidi ellam edhuvum nenachukka vendaam. Romba late ayiduchu. Shall we leave?" He sighed and nodded.

The drive to her house was rather quiet. Music was playing but they were each lost in their own thoughts. When the car slowed down, Arohi realized that they had reached their destination. She looked and him and said, "Thank you for the lovely evening and good night." Before he could respond to that she stepped out of the car but stopped for a moment. She then turned around and said, "If you are not tired, would you care for some coffee? Naan nalla coffee poduven." A gentle smile occupied his charming face and he nodded saying, "Sure. Why not?"

He parked his car and hopped out. He followed her to the front door which she opened widely, inviting him into her home.

Brinda Subramanian

Unakaga Vaazha Ninaikiran, Usuroda Vasam Pudikkiran, Podava Madikkaiyil, Unnathan Madikkiraen, Oru Nooru Varusham Pesa Nenachi, Tholil Thoongiduvan,  Unakaga, Unakaga,