First appointment

Dr. Sudhanshu Kathirvelavan, AKA, Dr. SK was the dean of the school of psychology. He was an extremely brilliant physician and was a role model to students until they met him. He was a 5.11 handsome young man. He looked attractive. He had powerful eyes, nice pointed features. His toned physique was an indication of someone who took good care of his body. He always trimmed his beard neatly and was always very well dressed. He practiced in his office three times a week for limited hours but devoted the rest of his time in teaching students. He was short tempered and snapped easily. Although his girl students drooled at the sight of him, no one dared to approach him. His patients loved him though because he sincerely helped them. His process worked brilliantly and that's all that mattered to them. His staff and student addressed him by a different name though. They called him Lucifer.

It was 7pm and SK had just finished with his last patient when his phone rang. He answered it without even looking, "SK here". Aisha said, "Hey dude, how are you? Long time no see?" SK's lips slightly widened into a smile. Aisha and her husband Aman were SK's good friends and one among the few that he respected a lot. "I am doing well as usual and handsome as usual. How about you? How is life in the world of family medicine? I missed you on Sunday when I dropped by to drop Aman after golf." Aisha smiled, "Everything is going great. Listen, I need a favour from you. It is a friend of mine, Arohi." SK rolled his eyes, "Oh no. Aish, you know that I don't like seeing new patients." Aisha interrupted him saying, "Ansh please don't say no. She really needs your help and trust me when I tell you that she isn't keen on seeing you either but I insisted since I am at the end of the rope and I think you are her last option." SK could never say no to Aisha especially when she addresses him as "Ansh". The only other person who addressed him that way was his late mother. He was very fond of Aisha like a little sister. She was one of those very few people that he was actually fond of. Also Aisha was aware that he would not have the heart to say no to her. SK sighed, "ok but you owe me big time. I want that special biryani on Sunday" he chuckled, "I can see her the day after tomorrow after my last patient, say 7pm. Meanwhile, send me her chart. Let me ask you something. I will be staying late so it better e worth it. Is she good looking?" Aisha yelled back, "Ansh stop it. How does it matter anyway? I have tried to set you up with so many of my friends but you are never interested. I don't think you have any chance with Arohi. She does not believe in the concept of love, relationships or marriage. So this is going to be strictly professional my friend" she laughed.

After a few more minutes of chitchatting they big goodbye to each other. Before leaving her office, Aisha sent Arohi's chart to SK to review. Then, on her way home, she quickly sent a text message to Arohi, "Set up your appointment with Dr.SK for Wednesday at 7pm. I am sure this will work". She was just about to put her phone away when it pinged. Arohi had replied promptly, "I can't believe I am seeing a shrink. Anyway, it is just going to be one session so I will deal with it. Thanks BTW. GN." Aisha smiled and nodded mumbling, "Oh Lord! Why am I stuck between these two?"

SK had a packed schedule on Wednesday. Arohi reached his office 15 mins earlier than the scheduled appointment. She walked up to the reception where a young girl greeted her with a smile. Arohi ignored the smile and said, "I am here for a 7pm appointment with Dr.Shri....i mean Dr. Sudhanshu." The girl handed her a clipboard saying, "Sure ma'am. If you could please fill up the information please" and smiled again. Arohi grabbed the clip board and took a seat. She quickly scribbled through the information and then handed it back to the girl, looking at the wall clock behind the desk that indicated 6:55pm.

SK's last patient was still having anxiety over her impending exams. Although she had come a long way, the anxiety attacks still happened every now and then. SK asked her to continue with the medication prescribed but this patient continued to talk and talk. It was past her appointment time and clock had now moved to 7:10. Arohi was fuming already but finally his chamber door opened and he lead his patient out. He then yelled for the girl at the reception, "Annie is my 7pm patient here yet?" Arohi stood up glaring at him and walked up to the door. SK gave her a fake smile and gestured her to walk in. He shut the door behind him and walked saying, "I am sorry but...." Arohi glared at him saying, "Look Mr. my time is very important and I respect it. I am here only because Aisha thought this was a good idea although I don't think a shrink can help me in anyway." She huffed and sat down. SK smirked, "Arohi, first of all it is Dr. Dr. SK and I am not a shrink. So if you need help, you need to first trust the process." Arohi, still glaring at him said, "ok Dr. and you address me as Ms. Arohi."

SK bit his lower lip to control his laughter. He sat on the chair across from her and said, "Alright Ms. Arohi, what seems to be the problem? I did glance through your chart and I understand that you are suffering from insomnia. Let me begin by breaking your bubble. You cannot be fixed in one sitting." Arohi took a deep breath but since she was there already she wanted to just focus on this one session and get the hell out of here. She did not like the guy one bit but couldn't help noticing his good looks, especially those enticing eyes.

Brinda Subramanian