Prologue: The Devil's Duelist

Babylon, the city of legends, shrouded in mystery and glory. The mighty capital of the empire, it was a bizarre combination of luxury and decay. Magnificent ziggurats, piercing the sky with their spires, stood side by side with the barracks of half-starved slaves and poor neighborhoods where life teemed in narrow streets. Magic and advanced technologies intertwined in this city, creating a unique atmosphere. Here you could meet both powerful mages and ordinary merchants, warriors returning from distant campaigns, and scientists conducting their experiments in secret laboratories.

But Babylon also had its bloody side. Duels between mages, once a rarity, have now become almost commonplace. Special platforms for these deadly contests, scattered throughout the city like scars on its body, served as a reminder of the cruelty and danger that lurked behind the magnificent facade of the ancient capital.

Once a bustling square, it now looked eerily empty. Residents accustomed to the periodic duels of mages had long learned to bypass this place. Those who found themselves here by chance hurriedly left the territory, feeling the tension hanging in the air. The central fountain, which usually provided coolness on hot days, now seemed ominous, and its sluggish streams of water seemed to hint at the approach of a bloody denouement.

The air was filled with the crackle of broken glass. The third personal shield shattered, unable to withstand the powerful attack. It was a beautiful Sumerian spell, capable of protecting against most magical attacks, but only once. I had seven of them - three fixed on my aura and four on my staff. If I had known that this madman would attack me, I would have applied more. And I would have grabbed some artifacts from my reserves. I wasn't a rich brat like this young man, but it wasn't for nothing that I spent ten years studying artifactory with the old madman. I had my arsenal, but today it stayed at home. I relaxed, thought that nobody needed me, I'd just take a walk around the city... And then this.

Bastard! Lightning from the ring, protection from the necklace... He uses one artifact after another, like throwing copper coins around. Where did he get so many? In 20 years of medical practice, I barely scraped together enough for a dozen, and even those I made myself! And this donator has already used the seventh in just ten seconds of battle! If it weren't for the ability to manipulate water and the fact that the battle was taking place in a square with a fountain, I would already be dead!

The fountain raged, the water under my control rose into the air, forming shields and repelling attacks. But the forces were unequal. This youngster possessed artifacts of the element of fire magic of such quality that they completely overlapped all my skills.

But how long can this go on!? The lightning of Marduk? Do you think I'm a demon or something?! The water shield was pierced, the protection was removed... Nothing, wait a little, scoundrel, I'll finish reading the spell and you'll be happy. The main thing is not to lose concentration. Healing spells are a complex thing, and you can't quickly form them in your aura. Ten seconds minimum. In battle, this is an eternity. But I have no other options. He blocks my water arsenal. It is clear that he was preparing and knew who he was going to kill. He dispels weak spells. I have a whole bunch of them, but there's no use for them. Like peas against a wall. This is not some riff-raff from the gateway. It remains only to form a spell by specialization. They are the strongest I have. One good thing is that if I have time, then nothing will save him. No personal protection, no fire barrier, no psionic shield. The latter, by the way, is a very rare thing, originally from the technical worlds. I've only heard of such a thing. It dispels weak spells with a primitive structure. And he has it!

So that you hiccup, you bastard! Magma whip!? Where did you get the higher spirit of flame?! It costs as much as three estates in the center of Babylon! Why do you need me? I'm not some archmage. Minus two protections per second! I'm already spinning like a fly in boiling water, and this damn fire rope seems to have homing! Am I really going to die here!? Not in an epic battle against a pack of demons, but at the hands of a snotty duelist who hasn't even turned thirty?