19) Did it hurt?

Kiara's POV

Looking around my room for the last time, I tried to etch every single thing in my mind. After all, it was the last time I was seeing my room. Inhaling deeply, I walked out and closed the door, resisting a very strong urge to peek back.

The day was finally here.

16th August.

I was dressed in a simple shirt and jeans and my hair were flowing down my back.

No wedding lehenga? - you would ask.

3 days ago, Mr. Rajveer called dad to inform him that he had organized a court marriage. I was thoroughly confused as to why he would insist on a court marriage when he was the one who wanted everyone to know that his son was finally getting settled.

Nonetheless, I was happy that it was going to be a small affair. Only family and friends.

As I walked down the stairs, I realized that this was the last day in my home. Tears started prickling my eyes and I blinked heavily to prevent them from falling.

"The luggage is in the car." Dad announced, entering through the main door as I descended the last step, sniffling discreetly. Since the day I had overheard my parents talking, I couldn't help but think it was all my fault that dad had almost lost his job.

But now, everything was going to be okay. At least for my family.

Dad came near me and put his arm around my shoulders. I smiled at him but it didn't reach my eyes.

"Ready?" He asked, a warm smile adorning his face.

No.

I took a deep breath. "Yes."

"Are you sure, Kia?" His question took me by surprise. I looked at him only to find him gazing at me with concerned eyes. Worry lines creased his forehead and my heart clenched at the thought that he was so worried for me.

Putting on a convincing smile, like I had been doing the past three years, I said. "Yes, dad. I'm sure." I hugged him.

"Well, then, let's go. Your mom and Tina are already outside."

*

Staring at the papers in front of me, I swallowed harshly, my grip on the pen tightening with each passing second. Sweat trickled down my forehead and I leaned forward, no matter how much I wanted to run away from here. I was sitting in one of the most expensive lawyer's office beside an arrogant, brooding male whom I was supposed to marry. Our families stood in a around us.

I looked at the papers in front of me.

I had to do this.

For my family.

Without wasting another second, I signed the papers.

I just signed my marriage contract.

I just signed myself to the devil.

My hand felt numb as I kept the pen on the table.

"Okay, then. Mr. Singhania?" The lawyer took the papers from me and set them in front of Arjun. "It's your turn. You have to sign here."

My eyes snapped to Arjun while his were focused ahead. I hadn't seen him since that night.

I bit my lip nervously, my heart thundering in my chest as I stared at him. I could almost feel his teeth grinding against each other by the way he was clenching his jaw. His neck vein was popping out in anger and it must have taken him a lot of self-restraint to not lash out.