8) Did I hear that right?

Kiara's POV

"I want you to marry my son."

.

.

.

Did I hear that right?

My first inclination was to laugh. I snorted but stopped when I saw three not-so-amused faces in the room.

It took me a second to realize the fact that they were not joking and were pretty much serious about the whole matter.

I was stunned to silence.

I couldn't believe my ears.

They were definitely playing a sick joke on me.

I wanted to make sure if I heard that right. But the words were still ringing in my ears, loud and clear.

There was complete silence in the room.

Uncomfortable silence.

The tension in the room was so thick that you could practically cut it with a knife.

Marriage? I thought to myself.

And that too with a complete stranger?

My eyes wandered to my parents who were a bit uneasy and watching me, uncertainty evident in their eyes. Their faces reflected concern and worry. I waited for them to say something. Anything. But all they did was just stare silently.

I had never been against arranged marriage, I trusted my parents enough to choose a partner for me. But the fact that my parents want me to get married at such a young age left me disgruntled.

I am only 20, for god's sake!

Calm down, Kia! Don't jump to conclusions. Mom and dad haven't said anything, yet.

I sighed and massaged my temple.

I looked around the room, rather helplessly, trying to wrap the situation around my head. But it didn't help as the throbbing pain in my forehead increased.

"Why?" I asked, my voice low and calm but I was anything but that. I peeked a glance at Mr. Rajveer, who was all calm and composed.

"I have my reasons." He replied with a non-chalant shrug.

"I think-" Mom started.

"And your parents have agreed to this." Mr. Rajveer said, effectively cutting her off.

What?

If I was shocked before, I couldn't explain what I was feeling now.

They agreed?

Without even consulting me?

All my hopes vanished on listening this. So, this was it. My parents had agreed to marry me off to a random stranger?

I stared at them in disbelief.

Mr. Rajveer stood up and adjusted his coat, "Everything has been settled, Kiara. You are getting engaged to Arjun in a week. I have a meeting right now and I will let you know about the details soon." He commanded in a voice that left no room for argument.

WHAT!?

In a week? They decided all that without my permission?

I looked at him in horror.

"Don't worry, I will take care of all the arrangements." He smiled and left without another word, not even giving me a single chance to object.

Mom and dad accompanied him to the front door while I dropped on the couch, unable to comprehend anything.