Jiang Shi

"Five-year-old Madeline Chen went missing from a classmate's birthday party," the television blared, "more at six." The TV then cut to that weird public service announcement about not playing with fireworks. That thing always unnerved me as a kid, so I instinctively left the room, hitting my head on the doorframe.

I found it odd that I had not heard any sort of AMBER Alert for this kid, especially one so small. I looked up her name on my phone and sorted by "News."

"Young Girl Reported Missing by Teacher Who Says She Has Been Absent For Entire Week"

Weird, she was only just reported missing, despite being gone for a week. What were her parents thinking? They never even reported her missing! DSS should be checking on those two. I'd love to hear that story.

After going down that rabbit hole, the news was back on.

"Madeline's parents have refused to communicate with police or the media regarding their daughter." I hate to be obvious, but that sounds really suspicious. "In lighter news, this wasp knows how to read!" Nope, not watching any of that. I turned the TV off and went upstairs to my room to draw the next panel for my webcomic.

I lose track of time, and by the time I finish my seventh panel, the sun is peeking through my window. I check my phone.

*12 Notifications From Spare Parts*

"What does Alita want?" I wonder as I open my texts.

I dial her number and she picks up.

"What do you want?" she mumbles. I guess I woke her up.

"I could ask you the same thing, sister. Why were you texting me all night?"

"I was making sure the house was still there! Why weren't you responding?"

"I was doing something?" I whine as I pad down the stairs.

"Bullcrap." Alita spat. "Anyways, hear about that kid?"
"Yup, sad innit?"

"Yeah, what in Lucifer's name is wrong with those parents?"

"I know ri-"

There was a knock at the door.

"Curi? You there?"

"Yeah, someone's at the door"

"At 7 AM?"

"Uh-huh"

I open the door to a little kid who looks eerily similar to Madeline, save for the fire axe embedded in her skull, right between her space buns.

"Um, Alita?"

"What?"

"The kid is standing on the doorstep"

"Well? What are you waiting for? Let her in!"

"Who are you and what have you done with my sister?" I chuckle as I let the girl in.

Alita only laughed. "I'll be home in a second!" She then hung up.

"Thank you ma'am!" the little girl smiled and skipped inside.

"You want breakfast or something?" I chuckle awkwardly and place a pop tart into the toaster.

"I'm home" Alita kicked the door open, arms full of groceries, her spiky lilac hair billowing in some nonexistent breeze.

"So, what happened to you?" Alita asked as she set her bags down.

"Dang, Alita, straight to the point." I chuckle.

Madeline sighed. "It all started when I accidentally flushed my mom's phone down the toilet. She was really mad. And then my head really hurt and I couldn't breathe and everything was dark." she was visibly tearing up now. I scoop her up and try to comfort her. She curls into my chest as the axe brushes my chin. I can't comprehend how this sweet girl has been functioning with an impaled skull, but she doesn't seem to be phased by it.

"Curi, I feel as if our minds have reached the same conclusion," Alita said, blood-red eyes staring up at me.

"We have to teach her to FIGHT," she continued.

Alita had always been a warrior, so she was the perfect trainer for Madeline. She taught the girl Ju-Jitsu, Tae Kwon Do, and how to use the axe stuck in her cranium to sweep people off their feet.

Madeline took to her training like a fish to water. Madeline took to her training like a fish to water. The program was a strict regimen of diet and workouts to prepare her for battle. As she strengthened and healed her body, she also strengthened her resolve to avenge her death and the years of mistreatment that her parents had subjected her to.

"This is it," Madeline sighed.

"You ready?" Alita put one hand on Madeline's shoulder.

"They won't know what hit them!" I chuckle before Alita shushes me.

"Welp, no going back now!" Madeline knocked on the door as we hid in some conveniently placed bushes.

"Who the heck knocks on the door at 11 pm?" I heard who I assume were the parents of our dear Madeline.

She readied her axe.

The door creaked open.

"Oh, it's you," a small woman spat, "Wait, you are supposed to be dead! I thought we buried you!"

"Surprise!" Madeline sneered, brandishing the same axe they had rammed into her skull.

An unearthly CRACK emanated from the woman's neck, and her head was lying on the doorstep.

A man peeked out from the door frame, "If that's the press I'm hearing, I refuse to make any more comments - wait what?"
SHKKK

The man crumpled to the floor, his head rolling onto the lawn.

"Welp, that's done!"