23

Malia trudged into her apartment, spotting Ja seated on the couch.

Though she completely understood her friends concerns, it was getting beyond frustrating that they wouldn't allow her time to herself. She minded less that it was Ja but still.

"Hey." She said, sitting her shoes by the door.

Ja stood, looking over her face. "Hi, Mama."

Malia hugged Ja, the chaotic noises in her head being silenced for the time being. The school teacher was trying hard to put on a good face and being with Ja made it a little easier. Malia also was able to understand that he couldn't be there with her all the time.

The playoffs had started and there was a good chance the Grizzlies would be going far into the playoffs. Malia couldn't make it to every game but she would try to make it to a few. Other than that, she'd be at work.

"I thought you had an early flight out tomorrow."

Ja shrugged. "I do. Just wanted ta' see you fa' a lil' bit. You hungry?"

"I'm starving." Malia said, hanging her head back. "Do you want me to cook?"

"Nah, baby. I know you got grading and shit ta' do." Ja told her. "I ca' cook."

Her eyes made contact with his and the point guard had the most genuine of smiles on his face. Malia had seen Ja cook a few times and it never panned out well but irregardless, she smiled and patted his shoulder.

"Thank you, my baby." Malia said. "Just call me if you need help. I'm gonna take a shower then start grading."

Malia got into the shower as she listened closely to Ja in the kitchen. He sounded like he had the hang of everything but Malia could never be too sure because she wasn't watching him.

Little did Malia know, Ja was struggling. He was watching Youtube videos and googling stuff in attempts to figure out how to correct the many mistakes he'd already made.

"Alright." Malia mumbled to herself, sitting down in her bed.

She had to grade 7 classes worth of tests with an average of 20 students per class. Malia couldn't ask Ja for help this time because he was occupied with making an edible dinner, hopefully.

Malia's attention was swayed when she heard the small sound of shuffling in the trunk at the foot of her bed. She only kept blankets in there so she was confused.

The noise got quiet making Malia shake her head and focus back on the task at hand. She was almost through the first test when she heard the small noise again, accompanied by soft giggling.

Malia smiled a small smile, lifting herself from her bed.

Her feet padded quietly over to the front of the trunk and she kneeled, tugging it open. Kaari's eyes looked wild and playful, making Malia laugh aloud.

"What you doing, girlfriend?" Malia asked.

Kaari sat up, pushing hair from in front of her face. "I want to help you grade papers."

Malia lifted the child, rounding the bed and sitting Kaari on it. "Okay. You can help me. Biology and Chemistry are really hard, though. You sure you can do it?"

"Yes."

Kaari was unable to help Malia fully but was able to assist her with smaller parts of the overall equations. This lasted for close to 30 minutes before Ja came in the room, smirking at Malia.

"Mama."

"Baby." Malia shook her head. "What'd you do?"

Ja pointed at her. "See, I was-"