14

Malia never really got the hype around New Year's eve.

A new year meant people setting goals for themselves in which they'd never reach. Some did, but most people were on their same old shit a week into the New Year.

Maybe, Malia didn't see the excitement behind it because life had handed her nothing but bullets. A new year only meant a new set of L's she'd have to take.

Despite her grave unwillingness to see the point behind it, Malia celebrated with her friends because they happened to enjoy it. Brooklyn enjoyed dressing up, so did Jaren. Desmond enjoyed the alcohol and the music. Ja enjoyed the vibe and scenery of New Year's eve parties. Malia only enjoyed being around her friends.

Jordan Poole, of the Washington Wizards, was hosting a New Year's eve party and there were more famous people there than Malia could fathom. Malia had shaken hands with so many athletes and gotten hugs from so many Instagram models that it was hard for her to wrap her brain around.

"Hi, Malia!" Destiny squealed.

The two had only met once before but of course, Destiny was happy to speak to someone who loved to stay out of the public's eyes.

"Hey, girl." Malia said, hugging Destiny. "I was looking forward to seeing you as soon as they told me whose party this was."

Destiny smiled. "I'm so happy you came."

"Me, too." Malia retorted.

"I was about to go get some champagne and sit outside with the girls if you want to come." Destiny said. "I don't do well around a lot of people."

Malia glanced at Brooklyn, who was drunkenly singing with her husband. "Sure. Lead the way."

Destiny led Malia out to the patio near the pool, where a group of women sat. Malia had only ever been super close with Brooklyn so she was slightly intrigued to see what it would be like being around a group women.

The two took seats in front of the fancy looking outdoor fire place.

"How have you been?"

Malia smiled. "I've been good. What about you?"

"Fine." Destiny said. "Kind of at odds with Nike about my contract."

"Really? Why?"

Malia tried to listen to Destiny but there happened to be a random girl, staring holes into the side of Malia's face. She'd never seen the girl in her life so Malia didn't really understand.

"....but it was never about money for me." Destiny finished. "I just don't know."

Malia tried to pick bits and pieces of what she'd said and respond accordingly. "So, they want you to venture outside of just bathing suits?"

"Yep, but I'm not an athlete so..." Malia zoned out as Destiny talked, halfway listening as she glanced over at the girl who now had a smile on her face.

"I get what you mean." Malia said. "You'd feel dishonest doing sportswear since you don't play."

"Exactly!" Destiny watched Malia's eyes glance over to the girl before focusing back on her. "Wait? Do you know her?"

Malia smiled at Destiny. "Never seen her in my life."

"She's staring so hard at you." Destiny said, discreetly glancing at her. "Do you wanna go inside?"

"Yeah. It's weird."

Ja, who was inside, glanced around the party for Malia and was shocked when he didn't see her standing with Brook. His eyes fell on Jaren, who she was not with either.