12

Ja was gone by the time Malia got off the phone. It was a lengthy call that Malia didn't want to talk about so she'd keep the details to herself for now.

The maid of honor did a brief sweep of the party before deciding that she had to be selfish right now. Brooklyn was definitely gonna curse the both of them out for leaving but at least they weren't causing a scene.

Malia didn't see him anywhere outside so she did one thing she hated to do. She checked Ja's location that she'd never taken off her phone in the first place.

The point guard was back at the hotel so Malia didn't bother finding a ride. It was a 5 minute walk and she was in Hawaii. She had to be a big girl.

"Nana, please forgive me." Malia kneeled down, taking her heels off. "You would tell me this white people stuff but, hey. Mom is white so it's in my blood."

She took off down the street, barefoot and barely sure of where she was going. Malia had a good memory but that only went so far when she was somewhere she hadn't been before.

Malia could hear her own heavy pants and the beating of her heart as she bolted through the streets, letting years of un-athleticism take the back seat for now.

"Shit." By the time Malia got to the hotel, she could hardly breath but she was determined.

Malia jogged to the boys hotel suite, digging around in her purse for a key card. She'd taken one from Jaren earlier so it was in there somewhere.

"Ja."

She finally got the door open, taking a rest against it. Before she did anything, Malia needed to regulate her breathing.

Ja, who had heard her, walked into the living area loosening his tie. "Fuck you breathin' so hard for?"

"I ran." Malia breathed. "You left the reception."

"So?"

She released her dress, letting the dress fall back to her feet. "You didn't even let me explain to you that-"

"Look, Malia." Ja cut her off, pulling the tie from around his neck. "The games was cool at first cause I thought we was gon' find a way back. But now you got lil' bruh thinking sum' different."

"Okay, I did." Malia said. "But I was wrong. You've done wrong, too."

He sighed. "What that mean?"

"I love you." She said. "I only love you."

"Nah."

"Can you just stop?" Malia said. "You think you're a saint? You think you didn't handle certain situations wrong? You sleep with a new girl every week."

"And you puttin' all ya' focus on one nigga, Malia." He pointed out. "You buildin' emotional attachments wit' niggas knowin' how shit is wit' us."

She gave him a look. "All that wouldn't have happened if you never slept with the fucking girl as soon as you left my apartment!"

"Nah, you wrong." Ja said. "None a' this shit woulda' happened had you opened ya' mouth and talked ta' me about the shit you was goin' through, 'stead a' breakin' shit off."

Malia rolled her eyes. "I owned up to my shit and would've been willing to admit that I made a mistake. When we kissed that night, I knew I still wanted to be with you but you went out for no reason and stuck your dick in the first thing with a vagina and a fucking pulse."

She walked into the kitchen, looking for something to drink. Malia didn't envision them having this conversation for a good while. Especially not tonight.