Minho's A Third Wheel: Ch.16

Right after lunch the next day, Newt did not hesitate to go straight to talk to Alby. He'd told me the day before that something had to be done to deal with Anthony, otherwise it would probably happen again.

That was not a very comforting truth to hear.

As everyone else began to leave the lunch table and Noah eventually got called to work by Gally, it left me alone with nothing but the beaming heat of the Sun to keep my company.

Yeah, sure, I had to go back to work too. But I really felt like I couldn't. Everything that happened yesterday and over the course of the past month had been replaying in my mind.

For only a quick moment did a feeling of hopelessness overcome me, because then I got the strong urge to try and figure everything out. Why we're here, what this place is. Everything. That urge had always been there since I arrived in the Box, slowly growing with each passing day.

I was determined to figure this-

"EARTH TO ALICE IN WONDERLAND?!" shouted an annoyingly familiar voice, waving a hand with annoyingly familiar Runner gloves right in my face.

I jumped a little in my seat before turning my gaze up to the one and only Minho.

"Jeez, dude. What's going- wait aren't you supposed to be in the Maze right now?" I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion at him.

His frustrated expression quickly changed into a grin. "I did go out, but just for a little while. Newt said I could get a break for once. Not sure why, but I'm not saying no to that opportunity."

"Well why are you bothering me?"

"I'm bothering you, shebean? Damn. I'm gonna pretend like that didn't just shatter my ego a tiny bit."

"Won't make much of a difference anyway, since your ego is as high as Gally's eyebrows."

"Well you're about as tall as a beetle blade, so don't flatter yourself."

A bit of an exaggeration, but it was slightly embarrassing how he was practically telling the truth.

"Just...whatever! Shut up! What'd you need me for, Minho?"

"Nothing. Just wanted to hang out?"

"You and me...hang out?"

"Mhm, why not?"

Pretty random for Minho of all people to want to hang out with me, but I wouldn't decline that. Maybe it would help keep my mind distracted.

"Uh, sure I guess."

"Great. C'mon, Wonderland."

And just like that, he wasted no time guiding me to who knows where.

***

Turned out, Minho wasn't as annoying as I thought

he was. I had really only spent time with him when I was drunk or trying to figure out the Maze. Not the most ideal times to befriend someone.

However, spending about two hours just playing board games and talking with him eased up my mood, which I couldn't be more grateful for. That was until we passed Council Hall and heard some commotion.

"What the hell is happening in there, Minho?"

It sounded like Newt's voice was one of the many coming from inside.

"Uhh, I dunno. Maybe we should just go steal some cookies from Fry instead, yeah? Let's go."

Based on what I do know about Minho, this wasn't his typical reaction. By now I bet he'd have barged in to see what was going on.

"Nuh uh uh, Mister. We are going to be eavesdropping." I said, pulling away from his grasp.

As I pressed my ear against the door and Minho reluctantly joined me, my eyes widened in surprise.

"How could you even think that's fair, Anthony? No punishment? Seriously? No. You are getting punished, and that's final."

I was right. It was Newt's voice.

"It wasn't even my fault! Everyone in this Glade has thought about doing what I did, trust me. Probably even you too, Newt. I was just the first one to make a move on Alice. Plus, why else would she have been dressed like that?"

I was wearing shorts and a baggy t-shirt. What does he mean by, "Why else would she have been dressed like that?"

I heard a slam before Newt spoke again, in a much quieter tone than last time. I really had to concentrate to make out what he was saying.

"For that, you'll be getting two extra nights in the pit. Five total. And trust me, that's a generous punishment. After that, you are not to talk to, touch, or even look at Alice. Understood?"

"Fine." Anthony replied, his voice cracking a little.

"I'll take him there now," said Alby.

As soon as Minho and I heard footsteps approaching the door we ran off to the side so we wouldn't be seen.

Exiting Council Hall, was Alby guiding Anthony to the pit, and a stressed-looking Gally following not too far behind.

"What the hell was that about?" Minho whispered.

"Anthony did...stuff to me."

"What stuff- Oh. I mean, I could tell something was off about you. That's why I wanted to try and cheer you up, y'know? And Newt told me he was going to take care of something, but I had no clue it was related to this."

Minho was definitely a complicated person.

"So you're actually a nice person?" I asked grinning.

We were interrupted when Newt barged out of Council Hall, looking pissed off. He ran a hand through his messy hair and was breathing pretty heavily.

"What are you two bloody shanks doing- Oh, Alice. Hi." he smiled, looking slightly embarrassed.

"Hey," I said awkwardly, "we definitely weren't eavesdropping or anything."

Minho gave me a subtle slap on the arm after I told my obvious lie.

"So...you heard all of that?" Newt asked.

"Yup, but I appreciate it."

I don't know if time had frozen or what, but the two of us just stood in silence staring at each other. It wasn't an uncomfortable silence though, more so an enjoyable one.

At that moment it had clicked. I liked Newt differently than I liked Fry, Noah, Minho, or anyone.

So I got up on my tip-toes and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"That's my thank you, Newt."

His eyes widened immediately as a blush spread on his cheeks, and I walked away smiling.

Hell, I have no clue what gave me the confidence to do that.

Maybe Minho's energy had rubbed off on me.

Oh, and forgot to mention- but Minho was standing there all along as well.