Chapter 1

The world is yours but your soul is mine.

Chapter 1

  It was almost dawn, the bar was devoid of people, the slow music still playing but the place looked silent. Malik was sitting on the table looking depressed and in deep thoughts, he has drank a great deal of beer but he doesn't feel any better.
  Life has not been fair to him so far, he has graduated for more than five years but hasn't secured a job yet. His side hustle at the phone village has put him in trouble that nearly landed him in jail, for he bought a phone from an unknown person not knowing that it was a stolen phone and was arrested for it. The case was resolved but he was no longer welcomed at the phone village.
  His father died two years ago and his family claimed that their mother  is a witch and she was the one who killed their father. When they tried to defend their mother they were disowned by the family and banished from their hometown, a setup by their uncle so that he can achieve the property their father has left behind, and since then they have been living on their own hustling from food to mouth trying to make ends meet.
His mother whom was hypertensive and diabetic at the same time has been suffering for the past two months and have barely had her medications, she had missed her hospital appointments twice now because of financial issues.
His brother Ahmad who was in 300level in the university has missed a whole semister because he couldn't pay his tuition  fees.
  And finally their youngest sister Amina whom was in her final year in secondary school and was yet to write her SSCE but was sent back home because her school fees hasn't been payed, talk less of paying for her WAEC and JAMB.
   When he left the house earlier his mother was complaining about difficulty in breathing, which was probably due her health issues, and Amina is also complaining of ulcer which is due to the hunger they have been coping with recently.
  He doesn't want to go back home because he felt helpless and miserable, he hasn't eaten for the past twenty for thirty something hours, and he knows that the same goes for his mother and siblings.
  He was suddenly interrupted by the barlady, "Excuse me sir,  your money is 850naira" she said dryly.
He looked up startled as if waking up from sleep, apart from not wanting to go house, he was also trying to waste more time so the barlady would forget about his bills so he can sneak away, but its like he has stayed too long,  "What? " he asked trying to buy time not that he hasn't heard.
  "Your money is eight hundred and fifty naira sir" she replied impatiently.
  He lazily stretched his arms and looked around unsure of what to do. He then gathered the courage and spoke "Please my sister,  i was waiting for someone,  and he still hasn't showed up, if you could wait a little longer,  he is coming"
  "Ogah,  i cant wait any longer i am going, give me my money before i change am for you" she replied angrily.
  Malik knew he has landed himself in trouble as he tried to console her but she couldn't understand anything he is saying,  all she wants  was her money and so the querrels started. Within few minutes three hefty looking bouncers were about to start panel beating Malik when a lady dressed in fancy clothes came to them.
  "What's going on here?" she asked.
  "Madam this man will come to this place and drink and he will not pay, this is the third time" the barlady stated.
  "I was waiting for someone and he hasn't  arrived yet" Malik explained.
   "how much is it?" the lady asked gently.
   "its eight hundred and fifty naira"
  The lady opened her purse which was a gucci branded purse and fished out a thousand naira note and gave the barlady "keep the change" she added.
  "They said you should keep the change idiot and you cannot say thank you. " Malik shouted at the barlady,  now having his confidence back. "thank you Madam, may god bless you" he said to the lady.
She laughed at his sudden changes of expressions, "you are welcome" she said and walked past them and out of the bar.
  Once outside she went straight to her car, a shiny black mercedes G-wagon and was about to enter when Malik called.  "Excuse me Madam, thank you very much. You are really a lifesaver" he said. He cant help but admire the flashy car and wonder how such a young lady can own this, but by the looks of it she is filthy rich, gold earrings, designer clothes, latest iphone, his eyes were obviously dancing up and down
She turned and looked at him briefly,  "its okay" she said and climbed up the driver.
  He wanted to turn around and go, but something in his mind kept telling him otherwise "Madam please if you don't mind, please i need help, i am a jobless graduate, my mom is sick and i... "
  "Can you drive? " she interrupted him.
  The question took him by surprise, "i uhhm, i can drive but i have never drived a G-wagon before" he said.
  "Its all the same, drive" she said as she moved to the passenger seat"

To be continued....