Chapter 8 - James' POV

October

Walking through the Atlanta Aquarium, Julia and I marveled at the diversity of marine creatures. The atmosphere was magical, with illuminated tanks revealing colorful fish, undulating jellyfish, and even imposing sharks.

"Look, James, these jellyfish are so hypnotizing! The way they move is amazing." Julia pointed to the large tank, her hand clasped in mine.

"That's true. It's like they're dancing in the light. And those tropical fish over there? They look like they've come straight out of a dream," I added, pointing to the tank ahead.

"They're really beautiful. Did you know this is the only aquarium that has the whale shark?" Julia asked.

"Really? I didn't know that. Like, there's no other in the whole world?" I teased the girl a bit.

"No, silly, in the United States!" she laughed, and I hugged her sideways.

As we explored, our conversation took deeper turns.

"You know, my grandmother used to bring me here when I was a child. It was one of her favorite places in the city," Julia said as we stopped at the tunnel where we could see various species of marine life.

"It must have been great to share moments like that with her," I said empathetically.

Julia's grandmother was an extremely sweet woman, much like her granddaughter. It was a shame that she was going through such serious health problems, and even worse, that her granddaughter had to shoulder the burden for her mother.

"Yeah, but now... It's hard to see someone so dear go through this," Julia sighed.

"I'm sorry. I know it's not easy. But you're not alone. I'll be here for you, whenever you need me," I said, placing my hand on Julia's shoulder and pulling her even closer. "Always, count on me!" I kissed her forehead, and she hugged me tightly.

As we resumed our walk, I couldn't help but notice Julia's distracted look. It seemed like there was something else bothering her.

"Julia, what else is worrying you?" I asked, curious about her expressions.

"Oh, it's Chloe. Ever since she and Josh got back together, Lilith has been terrible to her. It's like every day she finds a new way to hurt Chloe," Julia said, frustrated. "What she did yesterday at the opening, it's just not right."

"Lilith can be... difficult sometimes. But I know Chloe will handle this situation just fine. She always manages to pull through," I said, understanding my girlfriend's frustration.

I shared in that frustration, and in a way, I felt guilty for breaking up with Lilith and then her immediately starting to go after everything Chloe had. Not just Josh, but the friendships, the trips, the social media posts. Everything, Lilith started trying to become a Chloe 2.0, but it just didn't work. And her behavior on the opening night was really ugly, she didn't need to push it that way, and that made me furious.

Julia smiled, bringing my attention back to the present. And as the night progressed, we found ourselves in a quieter place inside the aquarium again, the tunnel, surrounded by the beauty of marine life. The corridors were already empty, there were few people around, and in that tunnel, it was just her and me.

"Julia, there's something I need to tell you. Since we met, my life has changed in a way I never imagined possible. You brought light and joy to my days, and I can't imagine my life without you anymore," I said, pressing my body against hers.

"James, I feel the same way," she wrapped her arms around my neck. "You're my rock, my safe harbor. I love you more than words can express."

With our hearts beating in unison, our eyes met, and the words that had been kept inside for so long finally found their way out.

"I love you, Julia. More than anything in this world," I said, looking deep into her eyes.

"I love you too, James. With all my heart," she returned the gaze, and I could see tears forming in her eyes.

I sealed our lips, initiating a slow kiss, filled with tangible meanings and much love. My hand held firmly onto Julia's face, I felt the tears touch the tips of my fingers, I continued kissing her without moving my body away from hers, wanting to have her even closer. I was sure I loved her.

And there, in the Atlanta aquarium, under the gentle glow of the light from the marine creatures, we exchanged our first "I love you," marking the beginning of a journey of love and companionship that would last forever.