Chapter 6 - James' POV

September

"Enjoy the party, I went home. The car key is with you, try not to drink too much."

Chloe's message arrived when Julia and I decided to stay outside the party because we couldn't talk over the noise of the music inside. And the weather was nice enough to stay outside.

"So, you told Chloe we're friends, and she laughed?" Julia said when we finally found a place to sit.

"Something like that, but I don't know if she laughed because I said we were friends," I said, taking a sip of my last beer.

"Why did she laugh then?" Julia asked with a different smile on her face, it wasn't the smile I'd seen all summer, it had something else that I couldn't decipher.

"I don't know, I guess nervous," I shrugged.

"Chloe doesn't laugh out of nervousness, James."

"I don't know, so she just laughed," I shrugged again.

"Why don't you just admit that you like me, huh?" Julia brought her face close to mine. "You've been giving me a lot of signals for a while now, I'm not stupid."

"No, you're not stupid, in fact, you're much smarter than I thought. And you've got a lot more attitude." I put my hand on the back of her neck and pulled her closer to me. "I've wanted to do this for a long time," I said and pressed my lips to hers, initiating a tender kiss with no urgency.

The kiss was long, tender, and full of meaning. I kept my hand on the back of Julia's neck, and she stroked my cheek with her fingertips, the softest, most loving touch I could ask for. We smiled in the middle of the kiss, and we stayed there as if we were killing a long-suppressed craving.

"Finally!" Julia said, pulling her face away from mine.

"Oh, so you wanted this, and you never said anything?" I said, smiling.

"I'm shy, man!" she laughed and moved closer again. "I don't ever want to get away from you."

"Me neither, I'm really in love with you, Julia. Not just today," I said, stealing a kiss from her.

"Me too, I've dreamed of this moment, I won't deny it. You won me over in that first note." She smiled and returned the kiss, initiating a long kiss.

"Hmm... don't you want to go home with me? This party is over, we don't need to do anything, it's just to be together, alone." I gave her the idea and Julia just nodded.

"That's fine, I'll tell my mom I'm sleeping out," she said, picking up her cell phone. "Are you sure Chloe is okay with this?"

"Yes, I spoke to her, and she's fine. Shall we go?" I stood up and held out my hand to her.

We left Lilith's house holding hands and talking about nothing and everything at the same time. We got into Chloe's car and I made a point of driving very slowly to enjoy every second of Julia. My hand was resting on her thigh, and she was stroking the back of my neck with her fingertips. Ah, I'm in love.

"We're here!" I said, parking the car in front of the house.

"Wow!" Julia exclaimed when she saw the entrance to the house. "It's huge. I never understood why Chloe never invited us here," she said, getting out of the car.