Chapter 4 - Chloe's POV

September

I wasn't extremely excited for my last year in school, but I had decided that things would be different; the only thing that would remain the same would be my friends. At least that's what I hoped, and if that needed to change too, I didn't think it was such a bad idea.

Today is the first day of school for the last year, I was anxious, so anxious that I almost didn't sleep at night. My alarm clock went off shortly after I managed to fall asleep. Frustrating. At least I had that dream, the best dream, the same dream as always.

I got up and went to the bathroom in my room, took a quick shower, and brushed my teeth. I kept my hair in a ponytail, which looked messy but was planned. I opened my wardrobe and chose a black dress to match my new sneakers. I had bought it specifically to wear today.

I did a simple makeup, enough to disguise my post-summer dark circles and highlight my eyes, which are like my father's; we both had heterochromia, which left one eye of each color. I loved this characteristic about myself. I checked my backpack and my materials one last time before actually leaving the room. Everything was there, everything was perfect.

I left the room with my backpack on my back and appeared in the kitchen, where my parents and my brother were already having breakfast.

"Good morning, family!" I said, setting the backpack aside and grabbing a bowl for my cereal.

"Good morning!" everyone responded in unison.

I sat next to my dad and finished eating quickly, I couldn't risk being late. Not today, tomorrow was another story.

"Excited for the first day, honey?" my mom asked as I took the last spoonful of cereal into my mouth.

"Yes, very! I don't want to be late." I smiled at the eldest, who handed me the car keys.

MY CAR!

"Be careful, don't drive too fast, and don't run any red lights."

"Got it, mom. Thank you! I love you!" I kissed my mom's cheek and then my dad's.

"Remember to always check the gas tank. Because if you've inherited anything from your mom, you'll forget it often," my dad joked, giving me a kiss on the top of my head.

"Got it, daddy!" I hugged him once more, stayed hugged for a while, then grabbed my backpack.

"Why am I 'mom' and he's 'daddy'?" my mom protested, making everyone laugh.

"James, want a ride?" I offered to my brother, who would probably take the bus to school.

"Oh, if I want, imagine refusing a ride to school by car! Where have you seen that?" we laughed again.

"As if you didn't ask and your mom didn't drive you every day, right?" my dad replied, hands on his hips. "Spoiled brat!" Charlotte and I laughed loudly, and James flipped our dad off, receiving one back.

"Let's go then, bye family. Love you!"

"We love you too!" our parents said together as I reached the door.

I got into my car, it was a silver SUV, it was gorgeous. My baby.

"Don't mess anything up, be careful!" I said to James as he got in and made a motion to put his feet up.

"Are you really going to be that kind of car owner, Chlo-eh?" my brother used the nickname that only he used.

"Really. Don't get it dirty!" I repeated, starting the car and leaving the garage.