Chapter 2 - James' POV

July

When I arrived in Atlanta, the sun was still shining in the sky. I knew the club would still be open, but I wasn't sure if the girl would be there; after all, it was Sunday, and people usually spend time with family on Sundays.

"How was Canada, son?" my dad asked after a while in the car.

"It was nice. The people Chloe works with are really nice. She seems happy there, which makes me happy," I replied without much detail.

I loved talking to my dad, but it seemed like when we were alone, we never had much to talk about; it was more superficial.

"Now, are you going back to your world of video games?" my dad joked, and I knew he didn't mean to offend me.

"No, Chloe made me promise not to lock myself in my room again. So, I kinda have to go out more," I shrugged and looked at my dad, who had a smile on his lips.

"I knew visiting your sister would do you good," he nodded.

After some time in silence, we arrived home. I checked the clock, and there was still plenty of time before sunset.

"I think I'll go to the club," I said as we entered the house with my bags.

"That's a great idea. Take your mom's car."

Mom was out of town for work, so it was just me and my dad for the next four days. Not that I didn't love spending time with him, but we lacked common interests to interact more.

I went up to my room and changed clothes, then went back downstairs, told my dad I was leaving, and took my mom's car.

I didn't take long to get to the club, which was busier, probably because it was Sunday. I went straight to the pool and observed the area; the girl wasn't there, but there were other people, more children, and adults. I dove in, watching the people's movements there, and decided to head to the bar.

I sat near the bar and ordered a soda. The waitress was quick to hand me my drink and return to the other side of the bar.

"Ginger ale!" I saw the waitress say, and I looked to where she was, and there was the girl again. She poured the liquid from the can into the glass, picked up the glass, and brought it to her mouth.

"Excuse me!" I called the waitress. "Do you have a pen and paper to lend me?" She nodded and handed me a piece of paper and a pen.

Ginger ale is a terrible drink. Change my mind!

"Can you give this to that girl, please?" I handed the paper to the waitress, and she crossed the bar and handed the paper to the girl.

I watched the girl as she read the note; she looked around to see where it had come from, and I smiled at her, and she chuckled. She gestured with her hand for me to come closer, and I obeyed.

"How dare you say ginger ale is bad?" she said seriously.

"I've just never liked it," I shrugged and sat next to her. "But I have nothing against those who drink ginger ale."

"Oh, thank you very much. I was waiting for your approval to drink my beverage," she said sarcastically, and I laughed. "Your name..."

"James, yours?"

"Julia!" she smiled, and I smiled back.

"Pleasure to meet you!" I raised my glass and toasted with her.

"The pleasure is mine," she smiled. "Do you swim?"

"Not like you!" I replied automatically, and she looked at me curiously. "Not that I know how you swim... I just..."

"I saw you here once, I think," she interrupted me. "You ran away."

"No, you must have mistaken; I've never been here..." lying wasn't something I was good at. "Yeah, it was me," she laughed.

"I knew it was; I have a photographic memory," Julia smiled.

"Wow, I thought it was because I'm unforgettable," I joked, and she chuckled weakly again. "Your smile is beautiful!" I complimented.

"Thank you!" her cheeks flushed, and she lowered her head.

"Do you live here, or are you just spending the summer vacation?" I changed the subject, trying to make her feel less embarrassed.

"I was born and raised in Atlanta. And you, did you recently move here?"

"No, I was born and raised here too," she smiled. "Which school do you go to?"

"West, and you?"

"North. My sister goes to West."

"Ah, we wiped the floor with you guys at the regional last year!" she boasted, and I laughed.

"Not that I care. I just want to get through this phase quickly."

"You're in your final year?" I just nodded. "Oh, that's cool. Can't wait for senior year. Most of my friends are graduating this year, and I'll be alone."

"What year are you in?"

"Junior. At least I'll have one more chance to be prom queen."

"Being prom queen is the dream of most girls at school. If your school is anything like mine, the competition must be fierce," I said, smiling, and took another sip of my drink.

"No, in my school, there's only one prom queen, always has been," Julia chimed in. "It would be incredible if, for once in her life, she wasn't the queen this year."

"And who would be the queen this year?" I asked.

"Me!" she exclaimed excitedly, the sparkle in her eyes was beautiful.

"If I went to your school, I'd vote for you, hands down," I said without much thought, noticing her cheeks turn a shade of red. "Sorry..."

"Don't worry, it's okay. Do you want to..." she pointed to the pool, "swim?"

"Yeah, let's go."

We left our drinks at the counter and headed to the pool. We stayed there, talking and laughing until the sun began to set. Julia's company was very pleasant; she had a gentle voice, could talk about anything, loved talking about music. We found many things in common, and that made me have a different perspective on the summer.

Not that my summer depended on her to be good, but with her presence, it would become better.

I needed someone like her around, someone upbeat, with energy, and even though this was the first day I was talking and getting to know her, I hoped with all my heart that it wouldn't be the last.