Chapter 3 - James' POV

September

That was the last weekend before classes started, and for some reason, I didn't want the summer to end. I wanted to continue living my routine of waking up, training, going to the club to chat with Julia for hours, and then coming back home.

The fact was that it had been about 3 weeks since I last saw Julia because I was visiting my grandfather in Florida. As soon as Chloe returned from Canada, we went there. Which was just as good; I loved being with my sister, especially in that paradise where my grandfather lived.

When we returned to Atlanta, everything seemed so... normal. That irritated me a bit because the past few months had been so incredible that they seemed like a fantasy. My fear was that, it was all just a big delusion I had and nothing really happened; that club didn't exist, that girl didn't exist, the conversations didn't happen, and I would go back to being the son of the famous rapper.

My reverie was interrupted by soft knocks on my bedroom door, and I knew it was my mother; only she knocked like that. I got up and opened the door for her.

"Good morning, Mom!" I said, stepping aside to let her in.

"It's already good afternoon, my love," she joked, and I smiled, grabbing a T-shirt from the dresser. "Did you sleep well?" My mother sat on my bed and looked at me.

"Yes, why?"

"Just checking. Your father and I were discussing some things, and we wanted to know if you plan to apply to Yale." My mother had the knack of being very direct, and as much as I loved that characteristic of hers, I hated it too.

"Apply? College? Already?" I asked all at once. "Classes haven't even started."

"Yes, I know, my love. But we need to know to talk to the right people and have all the papers ready when it's time to send your applications." Mom got up, and I remained standing, like a statue in the middle of the room. "James, no one is pressuring you, you can relax. I just wanted to know so I can start taking the necessary steps."

"But you don't need to chase after anything, Mom. You graduated from Yale with great honors; they would never overlook that." I didn't even recognize the way I responded. "No... I don't know," I shrugged and sat down.

"They wouldn't overlook it, but we can't count anything as a guarantee, son," she said in the sweetest way she could.

"But what about the college scouts who saw me play last year? I might be able to get a sports scholarship at another university, not necessarily Yale," I pointed out. "And besides, Yale is Chloe's."

"It's not like that, my love. Things can change. Your sister is going to Yale, but it doesn't mean you can't go. There's room for both of you."

"Why are we even talking about this?" I asked, feeling a bit frustrated. "Classes haven't even started, and I already have to decide what will become of me in a year?"

"No, you don't need to decide anything. It was just a question because I was talking about it with your father." We fell silent for a while; that conversation frustrated me. Ever since we found out we'd have to go to college and choose where to study, Yale had always been an option for Chloe, not for me, not for any reason, but because I believed there were places where I could do better and be happier.

"It would be nice if you and your sister stayed close after high school," my mother broke the silence. I stared at her, but she kept her eyes fixed on a photo on the dresser.

Yeah, it would be amazing to live close to my twin sister, but I don't know if that's what I want.

"I'll let you think about it," my mother finally said, putting the picture frame back in place. "I love you, James!" She kissed my head and left the room, closing the door behind her.

Damn! I lay on my bed and stayed there, thinking about nothing and everything at the same time, weighing the pros and cons of all the decisions I would have to make in that crucial year. The pressure that would come from all sides. How I would have to stand out much more than in any other year. How I didn't want to think about it at that moment.

I got up and changed into shorts, brushed my teeth, put on sneakers, and grabbed the backpack I always took to the club. I hurried downstairs, ignoring everyone, grabbed my mother's car keys, and drove to the club, hoping Julia would be there.

As I arrived at the pool, I saw more people than usual, probably because everyone had returned from their summer vacations and were enjoying the last weekend before classes resumed.

I scanned the area, and just as I was about to lose hope of finding her, I felt someone put their hands over my eyes.

"Guess who?" Julia's soft voice filled my ears, and I smiled.

"Let me see, Mrs. Gertrude," I joked. She quickly released my eyes and lightly slapped my shoulder. "Ouch! Aggressive."

"Mrs. Gertrude? Could you offend me a little less?" Julia laughed and leaned down to greet me. "How was Florida?" She sat in the chair next to me.

"It was wonderful, I love that place. When I grow up, I want to live there," I said, smiling. "And you? I bet you almost died without seeing me for a month," I teased.

"Idiot, of course not. I hardly had time to miss anything. My grandmother's condition worsened, and I had to help my mom more than ever," she explained.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Ju. How is she?" I asked genuinely concerned about her grandmother's health.

"Well, under the circumstances. The doctors don't seem very optimistic, but they tell us we need to be optimistic."

"Wow, I'm really sorry. I hope things get better for you guys," I said, trying to comfort her.

"Thank you, James. It's really nice to have this kind of support," Julia smiled back. "But you don't look too good, what happened?"

"Ah, nothing much," my problems seemed so small compared to hers. "Just a difficult conversation I had with my mom today. About college and stuff."

"Ugh, I don't even have the headspace to think about that right now. I can imagine how stressful it must be," Julia's voice was comforting. "But is she asking you to decide?"

"No, she offered me her legacy at Yale," I shrugged.

"Yale?" Julia said shocked. "You obviously said yes, didn't you?"

"I... I didn't say anything," I said quietly. "I'm not ready to make that decision. I've had several promises from scouts from other universities, and what if maybe Yale isn't the best option for me?"

"James, Yale is the best option for anyone. I wish I were a legacy at Yale," Julia said excitedly. "Think carefully, you might look back and regret saying no to this opportunity."

"I'll think about it, but not today. I need to enjoy my last moments before the madness of senior year starts," I concluded the topic.

"Are you excited?" she asked, and I nodded. "Me too, everything is going to change from this year onward. My mom promised to give me more freedom from chores with my grandma so I could focus on my things, so that senior year is simpler for me," Julia explained and smiled.

"That's really nice of her, cherish every second before it's too late," I looked at her and smiled.

"I will," she looked back at me and smiled broadly. Her eyes were beautiful, vibrant, full of life and sparkle. Her smile captivated me, making me want to spend hours just watching that smile, which appeared at the most pertinent moments. Julia shone effortlessly.

"Shall we swim?" she said after a while of silence.

"Let's go!"

We got up and went to the pool together.