Chapter 20

West Coast, Lana Del Rey

It was the fourth day and Jisung was lying supine on a hatchet on the shore of the lake. Letting the sun caress his bare skin. He was sunbathing.

Chan had found a lake half an hour outside of Florence and given the choking heat they decided to pass a day by the lake. The lake stretched placidly under the scorching late morning sun. Its waters were reflecting the cloudless blue sky and the deep green of the trees that surrounded the shore.

Minho approached him his hair wet, he had just come out of the water and shook his head so that the water droplets would go splashing on Jisung.

"Hey! Stop it!" Jisung exclaimed, sitting up and brushing water off his skin. Minho chuckled, shaking his head once more just to piss him off further.

"Hey come here you fucker!" he yelled while Minho was already two feet down into the water.

"Shit" Jisung cursed when the water touched his calfs, he paused briefly, but slowly made his way trough the water reaching Minho who was already half submerged. 

Minho waited for him already halfly submerged into the water, a sheepish smile playing on his lips as he felt Jisung's eyes fixed on him. A flush of heat pervaded Jisung as Minho's gaze traveled from his face to his collarbones, a gentle caress, before lingering on his abdomen. Before he realized it, he found himself submerged from the waist down.

"Come'on!" Minho whined, so instead of walking, he made a dive by joining him in swimming.

Now nearly fully submerged, Jisung found himself floating, his face close to Minho's.

"Hello," Minho said softly.

"Hi," Jisung replied, a shy smile tugging at his lips. But then like a lightening bolt it hit him.

Minho was about to take his hand but got interrupted "Do you think i'd be able to dive from there?" Jisung asked him shifting his head to the left.  Minho opened his mouth and then closed it right after.

"Don't you think it's a bit too high?" Jisung grinned and swam back to the shore.

He approached the edge of the lake, his eyes gleaming  with exitement as he gazed at the natural platform of outcropping rocks silhouetted above the water. His heart was poundinng in his chest.

He looked down into the crystal clear water, seeing the reflection of the blue sky and the dancing reflection of the sun's rays. A feeling of excitement mixed with a shiver of awe ran through.

"Hey!"  With one last look of determination, Jisung stepped forward and let himself fall into the water with a shout "Wooo!" He felt the wind hiss around him as he swooped down into the cool, refreshing water of the lake, his body slicing elegantly across the surface before disappearing beneath its surface.

A moment later, surfacing from the water, Jisung laughed happily, his wet hair clinging to his forehead as he swam toward the surface. He shifted the hair from his face, his mouth filled with water.  Minho was right in front of him smiling, he got closer splling the water from his mouth, his breath irregular from the dive. 

"Did you see that?" 

"Yeah, i'm starting to think that you're and adrenaline junkie" 

The water almost reached above his chin, his breathing heavy. "Maybe" Jisung moved back in forth, Minho suddently went quiet. 

"What's wrong?" Jisung asked noticing his serious face, swimming nearer, their body amlost touching.

"Nothing" he brushed it off, trying to siwing away, but Jisung stopped him pulling him by his hand.

"I've been thinking..." Jisung waited there in silence, raising his brows. 

"Yeah?"

"I've been wondering these past years, why did we stop talking? Like did something happen? Did I do something? Or i don't know i was expecing you to...you know" Minho had waited all this time to pose him the question, and really couldn't wait any longer.

"You know I've been thinking about us, about you" Minho continued shifting his gaze somewhere else, felling embarassed to even say something like that aloud.

"I guess after high school I just wanted to start again, erase everything from the past and become a new person" Jisung said, and Minho was expecting him to continue, but he didn't. 

"I was in your past" Minho muttered. 

"And you were the only good thing that happened to me, I really despised everything else" he quickly took Minho's hand trying to reassure him. It was true, In Minho he had found something to cling to, a distraction. He knew that at that moment he needed Minho more than he needed him.

"I thought about you too, but I don't know, I'm sorry for not reaching out" he paused for a moment and then resumed "I- I guess life just got in the way," a pang of guilt spreaded in his chest. Sure he had his reasons and all, but just now he realized that maybe to Minho he was just more than just some friend, that he cared about him deeply more than he thought. That he needed him like he did once.  

"It's okay , i understand why you did that, i just...needed a heads up" he spent a lot more time thinking about Jisung, more than he cared to admit, and more than Jisung thought about him. 

"I wanted to be someone else where no one knew where I came from, where no one knew my family, just you know like born again"

"You sound the same to me, unhinged and fearless" he said making Jisung smile "I wish you had talked to me, Jisung," Minho said softly, his eyes searching Jisung's face for any sign of understanding. "I wish you had let me be there for you."

"I thought that if i deleted everything and started over then it meant that it never happened, or something like that, it's stupid"

"It's not stupid" 

"Well we're here now so i guess fate was for us to meet again" As fate would have it, they met again, because some people are meant to find each other, no matter how, no matter how much time has passed. The world is made for two, like packets of yougurt.

"Guess so" Minho moved a little closer, Jisung glanced down to his lips and quickly moved back to his eyes, a chill invading his body. 

Minho seemed to be lost in his thoughts, his brain cells weren't working anymore, his neurons disconnected and all he could think of was how much he wanted to kiss Jisung on the mouth. Realizing that maybe his little crush on him from when they were younger had never disappeared completely, that was still there buried deep in his heart and was now somehow resurfacing.

The his trance got interrupted by a ball hitting Minho's head, waking him from his trance

"Sorry!" Chan yelled from the from the shore.

"We should go back, i'm starving" Jisung spoke swimming away, the magic of the moment disappeared quickly, brusting like a bubble.

As Jisung swam back to the shore, the cool water embraced him. Emerging from the lake, he felt the warmth of the sun kissing his skin, the droplets glistening like diamonds in the light. With a sigh, he joined Changbin and Chan on the shore quickly grabbing a towel wrapping himself in it. He lighted a cigarette hoping that it'll calm down his nerves.

Soon after Minho joined. Jisung tried to avoid his eyes. He inhaled the smoke the nicotine being a small relief to his nervousness. He asked himself why was he feeling so nervous? If that ball never hit Minho's head, perhaps they would've kissed, and the idea of that happening was fucking with his head.