Chapter Fourteen: Tomoko vs. Tsugumi

"Humans."

That's all Tsugumi thought as she walked up to take her spot. "They want me to fight a weak ass human."

She didn't care that he'd somehow taken down Nishiyma. "This is a waste of my time."

He was looking very excited on the other side. A little TOO excited.

Jukai called out the words. "Ready? FIGHT!"

"TSUGUMI! TSUGUMI! TSUGUMI!"

Immediately, loud cheers from both the crowd and the other competitors were heard.

Tomoko jumped up and down. "Yes! Underdog! Let's do this!"

He ran up full speed at Tsugumi, who simply touched her arm.

"Now, for my starting move!"

She prepared to punch him.

"Base Move: Retreat!"

He turned tail and ran, just as Tsugumi was about to swing.

"Ughhhh."

She touched her leg, and with white energy flowing through them, she jumped up and landed right in front of Tomoko, cutting him off.

"Hahaha! So I'll have to play you differently!"

In two seconds, however, he was being dangled over the edge by her.

"OH MY! I am in a pickle!"

5 years ago...

"Well, dear, seems we'll have to eat the rest of this bread."

"Okay, mom!"

Tomoko eagerly ate his half of bread, and drank the small cup of water his mother gave him. "Thanks, mom!"

"No problem, dear. I'll have to try and find some more bread for dinner."

"Okay!"

She left the house, but it was clear something was wrong. She was moving slower, more gingerly. She appeared sickly. Tomoko knew the lack of food was getting to her.

As she left, Tomoko saw one of the men he admired most: General Morino, who was driving a nice car back down to his own house. A house that was much better than all the others in the area COMBINED.

Last year, he had competed in the annual Voltian Military Tryouts to try and gain citizenship. To try and be like Morino, who lived a peaceful life despite being human.

He had failed, and left, but not in shame. He found it FUN. He wanted to do it AGAIN.

Earlier this year...

"Brother, are you really going back to those tryouts?"

"Of course, Konomi! I will win, and we will all live GREAT LIVES!"

His sister tugged on his arm. "But you've tried for FIVE straight years! If anything, let me go! You've been overworking yourself to try and do this!"

"Nope! I've got this!"

"Takamoto! You don't listen!"

"Haha!"

Before he went to train for the upcoming Tryouts, she placed seven mysterious orbs in his pocket.

"Oooh, what are these shiny things?"

"Just a little something I smuggled from one of the higher-ups. Don't use them unless you really have to! You might get in trouble!"

"Okay! I can't wait to see what they do!"

He rushed out the door to train. Konomi just sighed. "I wish he wasn't so naïve and cheerful."