Chapter 40: RB ring

It was the morning of the race now and I had left everyone on read basically. The disappointment of my qualifying laps, the tension with Lewis, and the unwelcome presence of my mother at the paddock had left me feeling drained and frustrated.

At the track Max and I stuffed around at the ping pong table and accidently missed pre race race media.

"Whoops!" Both him and I tired to pretend like we cared when Inez told us.

"Shouldn't you guys be throwing a ball or something?" She watched shaking her head as we continued our rally of ping pong.

"That's literally what we are doing- Damit, you bastard!" I throw my paddle on the table after Max defeats me and finally looked up to Inez, "If we really think about it... I saved you stress because by not being there I couldn't say anything bad."

"Ok... genuine question, have you ever been media trained before?" She raised an eyebrow at me.

I could hear Max giggling as I responded, "Yeah?"

"Mmm, just checking. Ok then... I'm leaving before I get in trouble with you guys." She walks out of our drivers room.

"OK, BYE THEN!" I shout as she shuts the door.

"I was meant to ask, how did the Lewis thing go?"

"Umm I didn't actually talk to him."

"Seriously?" He looked at me pretty taken aback, "Why not?"

I shrugged, "I kinda just ignored everyone last night."

"Wait did you see the tiktok I sent you?"

"With the dog?" I laughed as he nodded, "Yeah."

"Well do you at least have an idea of what your going to say?"

"Not really..." I shrugged.

Max and I continued with our ping pong until the both of us were spooked by the door bursting open.

I jumped quickly turning around yelping, "Adrian! You scared the shit out us."

He shook his head, "You guys know you have 10 minutes before lights out?"

"Yikes." I turned to Max.

"Better get going then."

"The media already thinks you're screwing someone on the paddock Estelle. I would love to see the headlines their coming up with now that the two of you are both missing press together."

"That's a good one Adrian." I smiled sarcastically.

"I have a girlfriend though." Max said so confused.

I looked back at him funny and Adrian just ignored him, "Please focus guys and Estelle let's aim for podium ."

Now waiting in my car for the lights to go out it was a pretty humbling experience knowing how many cars were in front of me to be able to secure that podium.

The lights went on, I loved the feeling of anticipation it gave me.

And were off.... Entering the first corner I was pushed wide off the track with the williams, Alpha Tauri, Alfea Romeo and Haus's trying to nudge there way in front.

"Did you see the fuck witts behind me?" I call over the radio.

"Checking that replay now Estelle."

I had moved up into P14 as in my rear I saw so someone go out onto the gravel, "That's Yuki." Adrian told me, "Virtual safety car is going out."

"Is that when they went 4 cars wide?"

"Yeah... ok it's now a proper safety car with the debris."

We were under the safety car until lap 4 where I was quickly able to gain my positions, "That was clean on Ocon, keep it up!"

With drs now available my car had became a rocket ship and now I was fighting George for P11. It wasn't until lap 10 where I was finally able to get past him.

Not long after that on lap 12 I pass Albon, now I was in the points.

I saw the yellow flag being waved, "Adrian what's happening now?"

"Hulkenberg lost power- virtual safety car now, looks like everyone is getting ready to pit. You don't have much distance between positions, stay out."

"Copy."

Lewis, Lando and Pierre all in front of me pitted but the Ferraris and Aston Martins stayed out moving me up to P6.

I continued to try and close the gap as I making my way around to the pit Lane again I saw the two ferraris pitting as well as the Aston Martins.

"Green flag, your in p3."

I continued for another 5 laps in P3 before Sainz managed to use DRS to overtake me.

Between then and the end of the race I pitted late and lost a lot of positions and managed to make my way up to P2 before Charles made his way pass me so I finished P3.

After the podium and the team stuff I made my way over to the mercedes garage figuring I would find either my mom or Lewis.

I saw my mom talking with Toto and Lewis with Bono. Honestly sleeping on everything I decided it would be better not to speak to my mom. Iris was right. She's just trying to get into my head.

But with Lewis I figured it would be better in private... he was right in a way.

Anyway back at the hotel I texted him asking to come to room and he was here in no time.

I opened the door and immediately apologized letting him in, "I'm sorry, I was being silly."

"Estelle, I get it. We both knew this wasn't going to be easy."

"It's hard because I don't want to be a thing behind close but I also know that we're both not ready to be public." I reason.

He let out a sigh, "I was also overthinking the whole going out thing the other night, I'm sure we would of been fine."

I nod, "For now what about we stick to room service and a movie?"

"Sounds perfect." He smiles.