Chapter 10: game on

Jumping out of my car I wanted to cry. I was doing so well then of course on the last lap it all goes to shit. I was so frustrated with myself.

I toke a couple steps out of the car before Christian came up to me, "How are you feeling?"

"I was in P2 then went down to P6." I shrugged.

"You did great kid, don't sweat it. You'll always have next race." He brang me into a hug. "It's your first race, I didn't expect you to get podium. I wouldn't be mad if you came last, take this as a lesson."

"A lesson on what?"

"One lap can change a race." I took a deep breath, "Go watch the replay of it, learn something."

He began waving towards max who had his winning smile on. "Max come here!"

Mac skipped our way with a bright smile. He patted my back saying, "You almost had me."

I nodded with a frustrated smile, "we have this tradition in Australia-"

"No!"

"You don't even know what I'm about to say!"

"I'm not!"

"Come on!" I groaned, "Drinks on me later?"

He took a deep breath, "Fine but don't think I'm doing it on my own."

So whilst max was on the podium spraying his champagne, with the crowd of people chanting his name his took both of his shoes off. Pouring a fair amount in each he gave my the left one.

The camera was on us now as we bumped the his sweaty shoes together, some champagne dripping out and chugged.

Pulling away from the shoe me and max had a cute team bonding moment, "Good job out there."

"Yeah you to, let's hope you don't flunk the next race." He snickered.

"You little brat." I hit him with the shoe and he started running away spraying more champagne on me.

Ah drive to survive is going to eat this up I thought.

I was making my way back to the redbull shed as I ran into some familiar races, "Oh, hey there Charles and Iris! Nice of you to congratulate me on the race. Should I come back later you two look busy?"

"What happened out there? You were doing so well." Iris ignored my comment about her and Charles.

"Yeah don't worry I'll be watching the replay all night." I laughed and she sent me a look of empathy. "Charles you didn't do so bad yourself, aye? P4?" I changed the subject.

"Well you know me just a boy with a dream."

We all laughed and Iris asked, "Are we going out?"

"Wait when's our flight?"

"Tuesday 4pm."

"Mmm... screw it."

"What about you?" Iris turned to Charles.

"Yeah I'll come, I still have 5 days in Australia."

" Really?"

"Perks of having the races spaced out, then I'm going to Monaco for a couple of days before joining the circus again."

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Ah sky diving, seeing the Great Barrier Reef and I think surfing, Carlos chose
everything."

"I see."

"Hmmm, well I'm heading off to London, I have an interview with someone, I need to ask who. Iris do you have anything you need to be in London for?"