~𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 1~

As daylight cast a bright square on the window behind the curtains, Ruhi stirred awake. Tentatively stretching, she instantly remembered-it was her birthday today. Though the excitement of birthdays usually filled the air, for Ruhi, it felt like just another day. No one in this family knew it was her birthday; only two people remembered each year to wish her.
After getting everything ready for the day, Ruhi went to freshen up, her mind wandering to her parents.

Ruhi's POV

Standing in front of the wall adorned with their photos, i smiled softly. "Maa and papa, as my birthday approaches, I find myself longing for the warmth of your love and support. Please shower me with your blessings wherever you are, and may you both find eternal happiness. I miss you..."

The words lingered in the air, With a heavy heart, Ruhi closed her eyes, feeling their presence she lingered a moment longer before continuing with her day, carrying their love and memories with her every step of the way.

Ruhi turned to see Leela , the elderly caretaker, standing in the doorway with a small smile on his weathered face.

"Good morning, Ruhi beta," Leela ji greeted me, her voice carrying a warmth that was rare in this Royal Palace.

"Good morning, Leela ji," I replied, mustering a tired smile in return.

"What happened? Why are you so sad hmm?" she asked me with concern.

"No...no...it's nothing," I forced a laugh, trying to brush off my exhaustion. "I'm perfectly fine...just, uh, stayed up late working on assignments last night...guess I'm feeling a bit tired from lack of sleep..." I smiled weakly, hoping my explanation would suffice.
But the weariness in her eyes betrayed her words.

"Chal juthi.... at least aaj ke din to jhuth mat bol...aagr paap lagya toh?!! she said, playfully.

Leela jii's eyes twinkled with mischief as she handed me a small package wrapped in brown paper. "Happy birthday, Ruhi beta. I hope you like it."

My heart skipped a beat as I accepted the gift, my eyes started filling with tears at the unexpected gesture of kindness. "Thank you so much Leela ji. You remembered."

Leela ji nodded, her smile widening. "Of course, how could I forget? Now, go on, open it."

"Haaan Haan kholti huu" I told her with a grin, my fingers moving swiftly to unwrap the package only to reveal a simple silver pendant in the shape of a lotus flower.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I ran fingers over the delicate design

"Did you like my gift? Well, I couldn't give you anything special, so I thought I'd give you this..." Leela ji said, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

"I loved this pendant... it's so pretty," I whispered, my voice trembling with emotion as I traced the delicate lines of the lotus flower with my fingertips.