Rings

Bucky and Allie made the decision to keep their engagement a secret for a week. There were a number of reasons that caused them to do so. They liked the idea of it being their secret, something that was just for them for a bit longer. There was the calming down after their first night they spent together, cooling themselves off when it seemed they felt on fire each time they thought of it.

The two weren't in a rush to find Allie a ring, content to choose one when the moment felt right. Bucky had hoped to find her the perfect ring eventually, but Allie wasn't concerned about the ring until they had a conversation with Steve. After talking to Bucky, they had agreed that no matter how the decided to go about their business, Steve had to be told.

Allie saw the perfect chance to have Steve alone and to themselves after he had had a meeting with the S.S.R. and was wanting lunch. She and Bucky had offered to treat him to a nice meal, Bucky finding a nice restaurant a few blocks from where Steve had been.

As they took their seats at their table, Allie made the comment that she almost felt as if she were back in Brooklyn with them. After all, they frequently found excuses to go for a small dinners after Allie's long shifts or on days she had off.

The lunch itself had been pleasant enough, and all three commented on how they enjoyed the meals they had ordered. Allie and Bucky both found themselves nervous to be the one to bring up the topic, Steve none the wiser about why he was truly at lunch with them.

"Thank you for lunch," Steve looked between them with a smile on his face. "As much as I admire the others, it is nice to have time with the two of you. It's almost like we're home for a moment."

"I know," Allie nodded. "I wake up most days baffled that I have you two still. Not everyone has been as lucky as I have."

Bucky looked at the two, swallowing a bite of his food and washing it down before he cleared his throat and gave a small purse of his lips. "I can't wait to go back to a diner back in Brooklyn though," he gave a small shrug. "I want a burger and fries more than anything."

"From that one diner down the road from our house?" Allie grinned at the memory of the nights they would all spend out in the city.

"The same one that has those milkshakes that you like," Bucky nodded, giving her a small glance. "Maybe when we get home I can take you there on a date."

For a moment, Allie wondered if he was trying to give her some form of a hint. Looking him in the eye, Allie made her best attempt to silently communicate that they should take advantage of the moment and tell Steve then. Neither of them being telepathic, the attempt at nudging the direction of the conversation proved to be difficult.

"In fact, when we're all home, we'll have to go to Coney Island again, go to a few Dodgers games," Bucky began to rattle off a list of ideas for what they could do when they finally arrived at home. He looked to Allie as she took a drink of her water, nodding her head gently in Steve's direction. "It'll be nice to be back in Brooklyn. Sitting on the front porch and all again."

Allie found herself only able to blink at Bucky as he gave her a wide-eyed look and shrug of his shoulders. Sighing before she took in a deep breath, she turned to face an unsuspecting Steve.

"Or, you could walk me down an aisle," she suggested, watching Steve's brow furrow in confusion. "Bucky and I are engaged." It was at that moment that Steve choked on his food.

"Subtle," Bucky commented as they both quickly went to make sure that Steve was still able to breathe properly.

"Says the man talking about anything to do in Brooklyn that didn't have to do with why we brought him to lunch," she countered, her voice a soft hiss and eyes narrowed. "Steve, are you okay?"