Preparations

"Allie!" a voice began to pull her from her dream early the next morning.

Allie groaned as she rolled over onto her side. Pulling her pillow across her face to muffle the noise of her name being called out, she prayed that whoever it was would let her sleep for a while longer. It didn't seem to be case a second voice yelled her name and thundering footsteps sounded against he ground.

Groaning as the pillow was pushed off of her face and she began to open her eyes, she saw the grinning faces of Bucky and Steve. Both men seemed far too chipper for her taste. Steve began to reach out for her arm to tug on, but she yanked it back at once.

"What do the two of you want? The sun isn't up," she glanced at the open flap of her bunk. Sunrise was quickly approaching, but it was clearly still dawn.

"Come on," Steve urged as he let out a small sigh. "You need to go and get ready. We need to head out to meet with the S.S.R. and Howard."

"Now?" she groaned, making the attempt to lay down once more. She closed her eyes and wondered if she could fall asleep again despite the two being in the room with her.

"Yes now," Steve groaned and looked between Bucky and Allie. "Didn't you tell her it was a fairly early meeting?"

At Steve's words, Allie's eyes snapped open and she looked directly at Bucky. She noticed the tips of his ears turning pink for a moment, her eyes narrowing as she looked up at him.

"Did you know we needed wake early?" she asked and watched as he slowly nodded. "And we still stayed out as late as we did?"

Steve looked between the two as Allie quickly swung her legs over the side of her cot and hopped up. Looking between her brother and best friend, she placed a hand on each of their arms and ushered them to the front flap.

"Well then, if the two of you don't mind, I'll just change and meet you in the mess hall for breakfast," she sighed.

Bucky glanced back at her for a moment before she shut the flap entirely and went to her clothing. She wasn't quite sure how long it took her to dress herself and fix her makeup and hair, or how long it took to run to the bathroom units to freshen her breath. She did, however, begin to count the number of times she received stares as she walked to the mess hall. She supposed it must have been because of Bucky's jacket she wore.

Waiting in line and quickly taking her tray, Allie made her way through the crowds of hungry soldiers and nurses before she found Bucky and Steve. Sitting down beside him, Bucky could have sworn Allie sat a bit closer than what would have been considered normal and comfortable. He, however, wasn't going to say a thing in case she moved away.

They ate their meals, chatting with their friends and noticing the looks that Allie received while wearing Bucky's jacket. She wondered how many truly cared that she was wearing it. She wondered how many were simply gossiping.

"Alright you two," Steve stood with his tray in his hand. "We should be heading off."

Bucky and Allie both seemed to nod as they stood and returned their trays with Steve, following him out to a Jeep that he had keys for. As Steve drove, Allie and Bucky sat side-by-side. After a moment, Bucky's arm found its way behind her on the back of the seat. Allie found that she didn't mind his arm sitting there at all.

If she had admitted it to herself, Allie was nervous to see what was waiting for her when she arrived at the S.S.R. with Bucky and Steve. Both of them had already met and spoken with those that she would meet today. Then again, if she was with them, did she truly have anything to worry about?

Upon their arrival, Allie followed Bucky and Steve closely as they made their way through the building. Her curiosity drew her attention to each and every corner and person she passed by. To her, it didn't feel much different than being on the base, except for a bit more direct and intense.