Candles

February passed with ease as the Commandos destroyed another Hydra facility located in Czechoslovakia. There were a handful of battles that they had been recruited into, taking part in more victories than just their own.

On their first Valentine's Day together, Bucky and Allie had been fortunate enough to be able to relax in their safe house. Bucky had made the attempt to cook a proper meal for himself and Allie, but had miserably burned the food in the process. While she had appreciated the gesture, Allie suggested letting her making something simple for dinner instead. In spite of the burnt smell still lingering in the air as they ate, Allie couldn't help but admire that Bucky had made the attempt.

Throughout their traveling as a team, Allie was adamant about spending time with her brother and her boyfriend. Most times that Steve and Allie spent together, they were doing something simple like lounging or going on walks around towns. On some occasions, it would be a trip for both the Rogers siblings and Bucky. Allie found that she preferred days like that with her brother than being forced into sharing rooms with him on the road.

There were points where the Commandos were called in to aid in a mission. Despite her efforts, Allie would often be prevented from going to the front lines. Instead, she was often kept at a basecamp or in the company of Howard Stark while the men went out to fight. She was not silent in her disdain at not being with the men, frustrated when a handful of soldiers around the S.S.R. made comments about her being a pretty nurse, not a solider.

At the beginning of March, Allie was left behind with Howard once more. Bucky had given her a kiss, assuring her that he would make it back in one piece. Steve had said he would see her after the battle was over and told her to not worry about the team. She went on to worry about the team.

At the beginning of their day together, Howard had made a few attempts to talk, greeted with Allie's worry preventing her from having a full conversation. Sighing after a failed attempt to distract her, he walked over to a radio in the corner of the office and turned the volume up.

The radio only seemed to make Allie worry more as it gave news about the war. It wasn't exactly the most cheerful of broadcasts and Howard frowned, turning the volume back down a touch just as quickly as he had turned it up.

The day seemed to pass as slow as molasses off a spoon. Howard had accompanied Allie for lunch, making sure she ate something in spite of her stress and struggling appetite. When they had returned to the room, Allie attempted to read and take her mind away from what was going on. After the fifth time of reading the same page of the script she was holding, she slammed it shut and pursed her lips tightly.

"If it were you, would you let me go out there?" Allie blurted out as she looked over at Howard.

"I trust you," he nodded. "I can't say I'm accustomed to the thought of a woman out there, but you've been to these Hydra facilities. You know what we're facing."

"I don't think I can sit still," she huffed and glared at the back of a soldier who had shaken his head at her. "Steve's out there. The boys are out there. Bucky is out there."

"And they'll all make it back okay," Howard reminded her. "I don't think I know of any other group with a success rate like the Howling Commandos."

Allie dropped her eyes to her lap, her hands wringing each other as she thought of what may have been happening. Howard thought for a moment, looking out to the hall and ensuring no one was looking at them. He walked over to her with his pockets in his hands.

"Tell you what," he sighed and crouched in front of her. "I haven't finished them completely, so they aren't perfected by any means, but I have a prototype that you could try out. I tried to use what your brother had found, that powerful blue number back in November. I think I've found uses for it."